Production Operations Manager
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for a Production Operations Manager for SMG/McCormick Place. Responsible for working with event management, contractors and clients to ensure that all event productions are planned and executed in the most efficient, professional and safe manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Works as an in-house consultant to show management to help insure efficient scheduling of Production Labor.
· Studies technical riders, light plots, electrical requirements and hanging plots as to the complexity and feasibility of having a road show or local production in the facilities. Also, provides solutions which work to the benefit of the facility and the client.
· Maintains an understanding of labor jurisdictions and efficient staging of labor.
· Informs clients and sub-contractors on rigging points and methods for hanging sound, lighting, and audiovisual equipment in the Convention Center.
· Acts as facility representative to review and approve all rigging plots and ensures that points are installed in accordance with approved plan.
· Works with clients, contractors and Event Managers to determine the Electrician manpower required for in-house production work. Establishes show calls and works with Electrical Superintendent–House Electricians to place orders for Electrician Labor.
· Works with the MPEA Director of Labor Relations to ensure consistent application of the IBEW/IATSE jurisdictional agreement and documents major rulings for future reference.
· Participates in customer site visits and throughout the event booking, planning and execution cycle as an in-house resource on facility light and sound systems as well as methods and practices which may save the customer money or improve the production value of their event.
· Develops and implements facility safety policy and procedures for all production-related work including rigging.
· Provides written estimates to contractors for equipment rentals and assists Event Managers in the development of written estimates for in-house production labor.
· Actively markets and promotes the sale and use of McCormick Place production rental equipment.
· Provides assistance to the Arie Crown Theater Production Manager with Arie Crown Theater Productions on an as needed basis.
· Maintains accurate event history which includes any billed services, issues, or opportunities for future improvement of production efficiency.
· Hires, trains and evaluates Production Operations Coordinator.
· Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- High School
Diploma or equivalent.
college coursework in related discipline preferred.
- Three (3)
or more years working with light, sound, and AV production in a convention
center, arena, theater, or road-show environment.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and
customer service skills required.
knowledge of conference and meeting production requirements.
knowledge of applicable life and safety codes.
to read production drawings and to use AutoCAD for the preparation of rigging
plots, and production layouts.
knowledge of modern digital and analog production sound, lighting, and AV
to read and understand technical “riders” for stage presentations.
problem-solving skills and the ability to create novel solutions when planned
processes break down.
working knowledge of facility, theatrical production, and decorator/exhibit
- Strong attention to details.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, and AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT. Experience utilizing an enterprise wide Event Management system such as Ungerboeck preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of union environments including the ability to understand and interpret union contracts, resolve disputes and manage workers in a consistent and fair manner.
- ETCP Riggins Certification preferred.
- Position requires stooping, binding, lifting and walking. Position may be subject to noise and some atmospheric conditions such as fumes, odor, dust, etc. Position requires the ability to work at heights exceeding 50 ft.
- Ability to work long, often irregular hours, including nights, weekends and holidays as required by the events. No travel required.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 312.791.7000.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.