Terms of Reference
3ie, Washington, DC
3ie, Washington, DC
The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of highquality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries. We provide guidance and support to produce, synthesize and quality assure evidence of what works, for whom, how, why and at what cost. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organization in the United States. It has offices in New Delhi, London and Washington, DC.
3ie seeks a research associate to work with 3ie’s office in Washington, DC.
2. Key responsibilities The research associate will report directly to the senior evaluation specialist or his/her designee and will be responsible for a variety of tasks outlined below.
2.1.Search specialist for evidence gap map production The research associate will be responsible for, in consultation with the project lead or principal investigator, the technical production of evidence gap maps (EGMs):
• Develop and test systematic search strategies that include comprehensive search strings and algorithms tailored for different academic databases;
• Conduct searches for impact evaluations and systematic reviews in a wide range of academic databases, online libraries and websites; download and clean results using reference management software;
• Develop criteria for screening impact evaluations and systematic reviews;
• Manage teams of consultants tasked with systematic screening of impact evaluations and systematic reviews;
• Provide technical oversight for the screening of impact evaluations and systematic reviews;
• Develop data extraction protocol for impact evaluation and systematic review meta-data; and
• Assist with the development and delivery of training material for capacity-building services on EGMs offered by 3ie.
2.2.Research assistance for Impact Evaluation Repository management
The research associate will assist the data analyst with regular update and maintenance of the Impact Evaluation Repository (IER), including:
• Clean and curate data from the IER using MS Excel©;
• Extract and code meta-data of final impact evaluation studies; and
• Translate data and contents of the IER into written or visual reports.
The research associate may be required to assist with other tasks such as:
• Designing and conducting research, including but not limited to scoping reports, portfolio reviews, replication studies and concept and methods papers;
• Reviewing 3ie-funded studies; and
• Developing policy-friendly material, including but not limited to briefs, executive summaries and blog posts.
3. Qualifications and skills
3.1.Education and work experience
• Graduate degree in Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, Public Administration, Public Health, Demography or related field with an emphasis on empirical methods;
• At least one year of professional experience;
• Working knowledge of impact evaluation and systematic review techniques, statistics and econometrics methodologies;
• Demonstrated knowledge of systematic search and screening techniques.
• Excellent MS Excel© skills, in particular, have experience analyzing data including using pivot tables;
• Experience or familiarity with managing and screening large numbers of academic articles;
• Excellent skills in communication, time management, teamwork and relationship management
• Experience as a team leader is preferred;
• Excellent English-language skills; ability to read and interpret impact evaluations in French, Spanish or Portuguese is a plus; and
• Experience using data visualization software such as Tableau is a plus.
3ie will recruit one individual, and applicants must have the right to work in the United States. 3ie is an equal-opportunity employer and diversity. We do not discriminate based on sex, age, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation or being differently abled. We particularly encourage women, ethnic minorities and differently abled persons to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
5. Terms of employment
The position will start immediately. 3ie offers competitive remuneration based on experience and qualifications.
How to apply
Please apply by e-mail to WOjobs@3ieimpact.org with all of the application materials listed below and mention ‘3ie Research Associate’ in the subject line. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
• A cover letter, not exceeding one page, highlighting your experience relevant to the terms of reference;
o Please indicate in your cover letter if you are a US citizen or Green Card holder. If neither, please specify under what visa you are authorized to work in the US and for what period of time.o Please indicate in your cover letter if you have a minimum salary requirement.
• Curriculum vitae (not to exceed two pages); and
• Name and contact information for three references.
We will review applications on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled.