Electrical Design Engineer
Create micro-electronic PCB sensor designs for HMI controllers. Provide complete documentation packages for all design and implementation phases, from inception through formal production release.
- Design PCBs for new HMI products and support product sustainment activities as required
- Conceptualize new product features and enhancements based upon available technologies.
- Provide sketches / drawings for engineering review purposes.
- Perform Spice analysis on sensitive and/or critical circuitry as required
- Perform power studies and assess thermal constraints as it relates to environmental requirements
- Engage with the Mechanical Design team for developing packaging concepts and board outlines
- Continuously look for product design improvements, for cost, supply chain, or performance improvements
- Employ schematic capture CAE/CAD tools for creating schematics and initial layout
- Engage with the production floor during unit fabrication and initial assembly
- Some occasion hands-on electronics and electro-mechanical duties may be required
- Collaborate with team colleagues, and also work independently effectively with minimal supervision
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Electronics, or Computers, Aerospace or focus on Engineering, Science and/or Technology focus
- 2+ years of experience (co op, internship, other experience will be considered)
- 6 + months of experience with embedded C programming skills for microcontroller and or ARM devices (college courses acceptable)
- 6 + months of experience with IDE tools for coding and debugging
- This position requires either a US Person or a non-US Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
- Electronics aptitude, with the creative ability and drive to conceptualize new designs
- Knowledge of communication protocols: DMA, SPI, I2C, USB, CAN, RS232/RS422, 1553 and Ethernet and TCP/IP is a plus
- IOT is a plus
- Familiarity with MIL specifications is a plus
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 and AS9100 requirements is a plus·
- Willing to read and comprehend basic engineering design concepts, standard operating procedures, engineering change notices, technical reports and correspondence
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. A review of this classification has excluded the marginal functions of the classification that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities to perform this job proficiently. The requirements in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Ultra Electronics EMS provides innovative countermeasure solutions for maritime platforms that ensures mission success. We provide defensive equipment and services for magnetic and electric field countermeasures for naval mine warfare, naval power conversion and sensor design for US DoD platforms and allied nations. Our employees develop control software, power conversion hardware and power supplies for magnetic and electric field Signature Management Systems (degaussing and cathodic protection) for naval platforms.
We also provide specialist military and aerospace Human Machine Interface (HMI) solutions. Our employees develop displacement and force joysticks, hand grip controls, trackballs, encoders, and simulation equipment for manned and unmanned, maritime and aerospace applications. This includes ruggedized, game-style hand controllers, enhanced war-fighter control units for soldier systems and network capable tactical hand controllers with integrated touch screens for battle management applications.
Ultra Electronics is a UK-based defense, aerospace, cyber security, energy, and transportation products group. Ultra manages a portfolio of specialist capabilities, generating highly differentiated solutions and products by applying electronic, mechanical, and software technologies in demanding and critical environments to meet customer needs.
We offer medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, health savings accounts, paid time off, and a 401(k) plan with a Company match.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60–1.4(a), 60–300.5(a) and 60–741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing compensation. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Reasonable accommodation statement: If you need an accommodation for any part of the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org