Civil/Structural Underground Transmission Engineer - Kiewit Power Engineers
We are an innovative team of engineers and designers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s module fabrication and construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Power district, which includes structural, civil, piping, mechanical, process, process safety, electrical, instrument and control disciplines, is a multi-faceted division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the EPC delivery model for power facilities. We offer a variety of engineering services, including owner's engineering, project development, detailed engineering and design, construction management and plant services. Our engineering teams bring power projects to life across North America in the following areas:
- Gas-fired generation
- Power delivery
- Environmental retrofits
- Renewables and new technology
This position is based out of our Lenexa, KS office and typically requires less than 25 percent travel.
• Perform calculations and civil/structural designs according to department and industry standards
• Ensure the accuracy of the design drawings
• Have the knowledge and ability to analyze and design according to codes, design criteria and structural theories
• Communicate and coordinate project activities with project lead, customer representatives and other stakeholders
• Prioritize work and work or manage multiple projects under budget and time constraints.
• Demonstrate a high level of personal initiative and ability to interact with personnel, contractors, regulatory representatives, and town / city officials in a positive, collaborative and team-building manner.
• Design and prepare design deliverables for underground transmission lines including plan and profiles, ampacity calculations, pulling tension calculations, material selection, duct bank design, and construction specifications in compliance with safety, environmental and client standards and policies.
• Review and approve drawings and material lists developed by designers.
• Develop project estimates and schedules, evaluate design options and criteria for technical merit, and conduct field visits to verify routing conditions and parameters.
• Review drawings for manufacturers and use pertinent information in the production of design drawings.
• Work on the project specific engineering design tasks for underground transmission line civil/structural work, including but not limited to:
1) Horizontal Direction Drilling
2) Jack & Bores, micro-tunneling, other trenchless technologies
3) Foundation and Structural Steel for cable riser structures
4) Bridge attachments
5) Duct Bank and manhole loading calculations
6) Seismic design for duct bank, manholes and riser structures
7) Cable structural steel racking in manholes and riser structures
• Accredited Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Structural Engineering; Master’s degree or greater in Structural Engineering is preferred.
• 0-2 years of relevant engineering experience
• EIT licensure or eligibility within the United States
• Strong all-around academic knowledge of structural engineering
• Experience with engineering design software will be an advantage: this includes SAP2000, SAFE, AutoCAD, Bluebeam, MathCAD, RISA3D, AutoCAD, MicroStation
• Understanding of ANSI, ASTM & ASCE, NAD/NAVD, ACI, AISC, ASCE, AWS, CRSI, and OSHA. And willing to learn basic electrical standards such as: IEC, ICEA, AEIC and NESC.
• Experience with working in a team setting
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams, including substations, overhead transmission, distribution, renewables, generation and oil/gas. Also working with different client and inner Kiewit groups with unique ideologies towards budget, schedule and quality.