Vehicle Engineering - Tools & Technical Management Internship (Fall 2021)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy. We design, manufacture, sell and service the world’s best solar technology, energy storage systems, and electric vehicles, providing customers the opportunity to generate, store and consume energy entirely sustainably.
Tesla is committed to hiring and developing top talent from around the world for any given discipline. Based in California, Tesla’s workforce spans across four continents. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people, regardless of gender, race, religion, or background, can come to do their best work.
Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional philosophy of interdisciplinary collaboration. Each member of the team is expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. We’re tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems—and we wouldn’t succeed without our shared passion for making the world a better place.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Programs Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Fremont, CA
Interns within Engineering Tools & Technical Management will support the research, develop, and prototyping of various designs, tools, and processes within Vehicle Engineering. Your scope of work will be a combination of project management, design, and software projects depending on team requirements, challenging you to come up with creative ideas to improve Vehicle Engineering and support Tesla’s mission. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners, external vendors, and suppliers.
- Design Technology
- Engineering Operations
- Engineering Technology Programs
What to Expect
Internships within Vehicle Engineering will be interdisciplinary in nature. This could include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Support the development of programs to improve various parts of vehicle production
- Collaborate with vehicle engineering teams to design software initiatives that will support vehicle design and production
- Act as an internal consultant to document and improve Tesla’s engineering and manufacturing process
- Manage projects that are focused on improving Tesla’s design and manufacturing tools
- Create visualization tools to help engineering, leaders, and fellow team members to understand how product development is progressing
Engineering Technology Programs
- Align Vehicle Engineering technology initiatives with Tesla’s mission and core values
- Investigate and scout new technologies, business models, materials, designs, or architectures that provide strategic advantage to Tesla’s current or future business areas
- Prototype and evaluate new product concepts
- Specific project assignments and required technical aptitude will vary by final team:
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program.
- Strong programming skills with good understanding of software fundamentals
- Strong problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability to learn concepts quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results on difficult projects with tight deadlines.
- Hands-on experience, previous internship and/or project experience is preferred.