Transmission Electron Microscopy, Field Applications Engineer - Hillsboro, OR
Position: Transmission electron Microscopy, Field Applications Engineer
Location: This position is based out of Hillsboro, OR. Must be open to relocating to Hillsboro.
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
As the world leader in serving science, we empower our people to advance innovative technologies, develop meaningful solutions, and build rewarding careers. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our 75,000 extraordinary minds the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
With a tradition of innovation and leadership, Thermo Fisher Scientific enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. Thermo Fisher Scientific designs, manufactures, and supports the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide Thermo Fisher Scientific team is dedicated to customers' pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
As a member of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Field Applications Team you will work with companies on the leading edge of semiconductor innovation as they develop and characterize the processes that will lead to the technologies of tomorrow.
- Provide world-class process engineering at customer sites.
- Cultivate positive customer relationships and act as a high level customer interface for specific instrument/applications issues, acting as a technical expert, explaining complex technology details, giving in depth presentations, and assisting in technique development.
- Process development and other technical deliverables at the customer site.
- Deliver Best Practice Document customization to customer-specific processes, write production recipes and run qualification experiments to drive the use of Thermo Fisher’s tools in production.
- Guide the customer in writing production recipes and qualification experiments to drive the production use of Thermo Fisher’s tools.
- Act as a primary communication conduit to the factory by reporting engineering and production issues from the customer to Thermo Fisher.
- Troubleshoot and report software and hardware issues and escalate as necessary.
- Provide feedback to engineering on system performance, features and problems.
- Support the market division by assisting with the Factory Acceptance Tests at Thermo Fisher when needed.
- Support the market division by assisting with the Customer Acceptance Tests (CAT), and initiation/stabilization phases of tool installs at customer sites.
- Recommend and advise on direction for potential applications consistent with customer requirements and technical feasibility.
- Provide technical support to SSD, R&D, Manufacturing, Customer Service and other departments as required.
- Travel as needed to support clients.
- Typically requires a University degree in science discipline.
- TEM (Transmission Electron Microscopy) and SEM (Scanning Electron Microscopy) experience.
- Typically requires approximately 5 years’ experience in a relevant commercial/research/production establishment with recent experience utilizing Microscopy technology in sample characterization.
- Knowledge of advanced technology and diagnostics as well as operational optimization experience of analytical equipment; specifically electron/ion microscopes and various energy dispersive spectrometers nor other analytical techniques required.
- Excellent, enthusiastic, clear communication skills, both written and verbal, with a diverse audience is critical to the success of this position.
- Excellent customer interfacing and technical sales skills a must.
- Proven ability to interact with cross - functional and cross - cultural teams.
- Ability to travel up to 40% both domestically as well as internationally and possession of a valid passport.
- Attendance is a required function of this position.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in a relevant scientific discipline
- Experience with semiconductor processing
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.