Career Start - Project Engineer (Florida - July 2022 Start)
Career Start is a two-year rotational program for recent college graduates who are passionate about a construction management career. Participants join the program with a national cohort of peers and participate in three rotations to master the fundamentals of Estimating, Project Management, and Field Operations. Complete with leadership exposure and professional development opportunities, Career Start is key to building the pipeline of talent at our company. A degree in construction management or a related field not required.
Those accepted into the program will begin work in July 2022. If you would like more information about the Career Start Program, please visit the Career Start section of our Careers Page.
In your estimating rotation you will work with the preconstruction team on a host of projects, creating detailed estimates that forecast the total cost of each project.
- Assist with a Subcontractor database.
- Assist with assembling Bid Documents for pricing.
- Document Take-off’s:
- Specification review and preliminary scope development.
- Quantity take-off, use of “Digitizer”, manual scales, etc.
- Organize the take-off using spreadsheets.
- Develop bid clarifications and RFI’s.
- Participate in the project “Walk-Through” as required.
- Review trade duration (with subcontractors) for input to the Project Schedule.
- Assist with the development and updating of the scope sheet for subcontractor pricing.
- Develop Trade Spreadsheet for Subcontractors’ Bids.
- Assist with Subcontractor pricing.
- Assist in development of the detailed estimate.
- Participate in Architect/Owner Meetings.
- Assist with Preparation of “Hard Bids”.
- Assist in writing:
- Qualifications and Assumptions for Contract.
- Establishing the Accepted Value Engineering.
- Establishing the Alternate Pricing.
- Confirming the Document List.
Field Operations Responsibilities:
In your field rotation you will support Superintendents in the daily operations of the jobsite. You will be Suffolk’s ‘boots on the ground’, managing our trade partners to ensure the team delivers a quality product, on budget and on time.
- Gain a basic knowledge and understanding of document control.
- Knowledge on reading and processing basic shop drawings and comparing them to project documents. Verification of shop drawings to field conditions.
- Gain a basic understanding of the Exhibit B process.
- Assist in maintenance of project files.
- Support the quality control and punch list process.
- Gain a basic understanding of the construction process, including the means and methods of various trades.
- Assist with site logistics and Construction Management Plan.
- Assist with establishing and maintaining vertical and horizontal control on the project.
- Assist with safety requirements on the job.
- Assist with the Baseline Schedule updates.
- Assist Superintendent with project documentation including the Daily Report.
Project Management Responsibilities:
In your project management rotation you will support Project Managers in the oversight and allocation of all project resources. This includes coordinating trade partners, material and equipment procurement and managing the budget.
- Assist with creation of Change Orders and understand the processes and procedures around them.
- Assist with purchasing process, from procurement through execution of the Subcontract/PO.
- Assist with the backcharge process.
- Assist with processing of vendor and subcontractor requisitions.
- Knowledge on reading and processing shop drawings and comparing them to project documents.
- Gain a basic understanding of contract documents.
- Assist with the owner requisition process.
- Support the punch list process and work with the team to develop O&M Manuals and as-built warranty information.
- Assist with the submittal, procurement, and delivery process.
- Participate in project meetings.
- Candidate must possess Suffolk’s Core Values: People Above All, Find a Way, Courageously Driven, Endlessly Curious
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Resourceful with strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as a collaborative partner on a team.
- Highly organized and detail oriented; able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Recent or soon to be college graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree, equivalent military experience or equivalent construction management experience.
- Co-op or internship experience preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stands; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level. Job site walking.
Suffolk provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, citizenship, genetic information, disability, protected veteran, gender identity, age or any other status protected by law. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Suffolk will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination toward, or harassment of, applicants or employees by anyone at Suffolk, or anyone working on behalf of Suffolk.