Southeastern Virginia Training Center is seeking a Social Worker to facilitate the admission and discharge process
for residents serving as the agency liaison to families, community agencies and state or private institutions, advocating for resident benefits and rights, and counseling families and/or residents as needed.
- Compiles pre-admission summaries, social histories, pre-discharge and discharge plans, placement/Discharge/transfer summaries and other reports utilizing existing records and personal contacts.
- Promotes involvement of the resident and family members in decisions regarding admissions and discharge options.
- Prepares annual SW Assessment Reports.
- Assists with initial development and ongoing update of person-centered plans.
- Contacts families at least semi-annually and documents through Social History updates.
- Contacts public/private agencies concerning discharge planning efforts via telephone/letters.
- Be available to families and residents to discuss concerns/needs.
- Provides tours/information to potential residents and/or their families.
- Reports to the Social Security office and State Medicaid any earnings by the residents through the SEVTC
Sheltered Employment program.
- Review residents PFA balances semi-annually and makes recommendations for expenditures.
REQUIRED—Must hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Social Work from a college or university accredited or approved by the Council on Social Work Education or another comparable body.
•Knowledge and experience with Intellectual/Developmental disabilities, community services boards, case management, public or private community programs for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities preferred.
•Prior experience working with individuals with ID/DD, Aggressive Behavior and/or MH issues.
•A valid driver’s license is required. Out-of-state license must provide proof of driving record within 2 weeks of employment.
•Incumbent must have the ability to communicate efficiently and effectively, both orally, and in writing.
•Experience in completing social histories, needs assessments for discharge planning and producing reports necessary.
•Ability to manage multiple assignments, adapt to changing priorities, organize and prioritize work, and meet deadlines, ability to work accurately with detailed and confidential information.
•Ability to think strategically, organize & complete social histories, needs assessments for discharge planning and producing reports is necessary.
•Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, with all levels of staff and appropriately in sensitive situations.
•Must exercise sound judgment and to make reasonable, logical and defensible decisions.
•Must be able to work in a team environment with minimal supervision.
•Excellent customer service skills necessary.