Design Intern - 55990826
This is an exciting opportunity for anyone who is pursuing a career in the transportation engineering field. The preferred candidate will work on real-life projects in addition to being rotated throughout the Design office while gaining experience in the following areas: Roadway Design, Traffic Design, Drainage, Structures, Utilities and Surveying and Mapping. They intern will be introduced to MicroStation/AutoCAD and given basic tasks that would develop his/her CAD skills, including engineer markups, utility drafting, signing and marking details, etc.
The intern will perform the following tasks:
• Perform complex engineering/geometric calculations in the development of roadway design.
• Utilize Computer MicroStation in plans preparation, assembling roadway design plans, signing and pavement marking plans, signalization plans, typical section packages, scopes of work, design exceptions and variations and utility conflict reports.
• Other research may consist of performing of constructability checks and Quality Control reviews.
• Participate as a team member in day to day roadway design tasks.
• Perform field visits to identify and address issues in the design phase.
Intern will gain hands-on experience in the following:
• MicroStation and Geopak packages for roadway design.
• Roadway plans preparation process.
• Roadway design standards, criteria and specifications.
• Real-life design issues and approaches to resolve those issues in the design phase.
The intern will also shadow an experienced engineer (in Consultant Management) to help familiarize the intern with other internal District work units and illustrate how they fit in the overall production process.