Architectural Engineers apply mathematical and scientific principles in building evaluation and design while concentrating on structural demands and architectural functionality. They must also consider both the economic and safety factors in the project. Architectural Engineers need to be able to perform research, diagram designs manually as well as through computer-aided design and drafting (CADD). Architectural Engineer interns must also be comfortable in different work environments; they often divide their time between the office and performing forensic investigations on site.
The position requires the collaboration with other disciplines, ability to interface with clients, attorneys and contractors, follow schedules and budget commitments, work independently, possess good written and oral communication skills and the ability to problem solve. Must meet expectations for attendance and punctuality.
Intern Will Learn and be able to add to Resume:
· Assist with research, report writing, creative problem solving, preparing drawing plans and repair protocols of structures. The ability to use computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) software.
· Analyze sketches, blueprints and models for environmental and safety issues.
· Draft specifications for building materials, construction methods, quality of materials and processes and other project details after on-site inspections with Senior Engineer.
· Assemble plans, documents and other information to be used in reports and assist in report writing for Senior Engineer.
· Research information on feasibility and quality of proposed materials
Be Mentored by the Best-
Don received his Bachelor of Architecture from Carnegie Mellon University before continuing his education at UNC Charlotte, where he received a B.S. in Civil Engineering. Don is licensed in Florida as a professional engineer, architect, and as a certified building contractor.
In 2008, Don established Archetype Engineering & Architecture with the focus of providing inspection, condition assessment reports, repair and improvement design, as well as expert witness services. Don is sought after for his ability to solve problems and his creative out the box thinking that gives insight as an expert witness.
Originally from Pittsburgh, Don lived and worked in Charlotte, NC before moving with his family to South Florida in 2003. Aside from work, Don enjoys oil painting, antique cars, and spending time with family.
Architectural Intern Job Essential Skills:
Analytical. The review of drawings and plans, interns must be able to account for the dimensions of land and buildable areas, measurements, the quality of materials and applicable regulations. Candidate must have analytical skills, an understanding of designs and the location of items such as utilities and road.
Computers. Interns may prepare plans and drawings using software. Architectural interns should also be able to prepare drawings or assemble large bundles of materials in a manner to be transmitted electronically through email or cloud technology to owners, project managers or inspectors. This office prepares numerous written reports for clients and strong Word, Excel and writing skills are required.
Interpersonal. Our interns, even in their subordinate or junior roles, must interact with clients, adjoining property owners, government inspectors and officials, contractors and engineers. These stakeholders often lend their perspectives and concerns to the overall design and project process.
Time-Management. Building projects come with deadlines, such as those imposed by the needs of the building owner, weather and government agencies. Our interns must note, understand and be able to meet the deadlines given them by their supervisors. Interns often must handle multiple projects or tasks simultaneously.
· Must be currently enrolled and entering junior year or higher of undergraduate degree or currently enrolled in grad school
· Must be pursuing an engineering degree in Engineering or Architectural Engineering
· GPA of 3.0 or higher preferred
This internship is flexible on hours/days due to each students schedule. We can accommodate the need for change due to exams, we just ask for advance notice. The internship is open ended and can accommodate the students amount of hours needed for internship. We offer a family/school/work life balance.