Reliability Engineer Electrical
Location: Kohler, Wisconsin
KOHLER Power Systems, one of the largest power generator manufacturers in the world, has delivered energy solutions worldwide since 1920. KOHLER power Systems offers power generation equipment for residential, industrial, mobile and marine applications as well as automatic transfer switches, switchgear, monitoring controls and accessories. For more information about KOHLER Power Systems, please visit www.kohlerpower.com.
As a Project Engineer - Reliability, you will be responsible for driving aggressive corrective actions to improve reliability and reduce the Cost of Poor Quality. Ensuring our products meet the reliability and warranty targets is a key deliverable of this position. By analyzing reliability data, warranty data, and customer feedback, you will develop a list of priority projects. You will work with AMPS, design engineering, manufacturing quality, and supplier quality to validate your list and further prioritize the projects to resolve them. You will facilitate the problem-solving process by utilizing 8Ds or DMAIC projects to drive full closure and prevention. You will be responsible for test planning, data collection, and data analysis to drive verification and validation. When a new product is released, you will be responsible for closely tracking and monitoring the field performance as part of an early warning tracking and reporting team. An expectation of this position is continuous improvement of the Problem Resolution process in conjunction with NPD.
Structured Problem Solving
- Reduce internal and external failure costs due to design and process related failures
- 8D facilitation, documentation and training
- Use problem-solving tools and action plans to communicate and drive issue resolution
Probability and Statistical Analysis
- Pareto and analyze warranty data to identify and communicate current issues
- Six Sigma methodology to understand capability, failure rates, basic statistics
Product Design and Development
- Review product reliability targets, set new targets, and test to confirm targets are met
- Participate in and drive design reviews, including DFM/A, Serviceability, Routing, and Safety
- Work with engineering to develop product and component duty cycles to set design targets
Measurement Systems & Analysis
- Data collection and instrumentation to be utilized to understand the physics of failure and system interactions
- Develop test methods to simulate field environment
- Drive and implement advanced test methods such as HALT, HASS, and ALT
- Prioritize the field issues based on severity and cost to the business
- Coordinates cross functional team internally and externally, to solve problems or facilitate strategic projects
- Occasional NPD support, major issues, instrumentation, test support when resources are strained.
Quality Management System
- Review and present data and project status to upper management
- Participate in product gate reviews as needed
Strategy & Development
- Serve as a problem-solving expert and coach to train technicians in department
- Forms communication highway between Field Reliability and NPD Reliability to utilize lessons learned and prevent problems
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET accredited engineering program required. A degree in Electrical Engineering is highly preferred.
- 2+ years of related experience preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong experience using systematic problem-solving approaches: 6 sigma, root cause analysis, statistical analysis and 8D problem solving preferred.
- Experience developing Standard Operating Procedures and ISO processes.
- Engine or Generator experience preferred.