Civil Engineer (0 - 2 years of experience), Transportation
For additional information and immediate consideration, please visit our website at www.avconinc.com.
As part of a design team, the primary responsibilities of the Engineer, Transportation/Roadway are to assist with the planning and design of a variety of large and small highway and multi-use trail engineering projects including geometric design of all classifications of roadways and right-of-way plans; storm drainage design; utilities; signing and marking; and erosion control design; assembly of City, County, and State permits; and provide engineering oversight during construction.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (may include but are not limited to):
- Prepares project layouts and construction plans; assists in the various design elements to complete a project, system, component, or system with other team members with clear and specified objectives involving conventional types of plans, surveys, investigations, structures, and/or equipment.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of complete project documentation to include plans, specifications, and engineer estimates including the collection, assembling, and organizing of project data.
- Assists in evaluating, selecting, and adapting standard techniques, procedures, and criteria to project assignments; formulates and solves problems with guidance and direction.
- Plans and coordinates detailed aspects of engineering work; works on multiple projects of small to moderate size or portions of major projects using time efficiently to stay within budget and deliver on time.
- Assists in the preparation of project scopes, tasks, budgets, schedules, project specifications, and engineering reports.
- Assists with proposals including bid documents, project reports, studies, and other documentation.
- Receives direction on key objectives; receives guidance on unconventional or complex programs, direction on modified techniques, and new approaches on assignments with conflicting criteria.
- Assembles permit submittals for City, County and State agencies.
- Performs basic and moderately complex engineering design calculations.
- Aids in construction administration services and learn to respond to construction needs on various projects.
- Assists with preparations for, and attends, pre-construction and construction coordination meetings, internal project meetings, planning meetings, and client meetings.
- Assists in site observation work and compile site visit reports.
- Drafts departmental reports and correspondence.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little or no advanced notice.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- 0-2 years’ experience.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, desired.
- Working knowledge of MicroStation and Bentley GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite V8i, desired.
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, MS Excel, and MS Word.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, AND SKILLS
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and clients.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines, and follow-up on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentially and protect privileged client information and documents appropriately.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively in a high volume office environment under pressure of heavy deadlines.
- Knowledge of correct English usage including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Valid drivers’ license and maintenance of satisfactory driving record.
- Engineer in Training (EIT), preferred.
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AVCON, INC. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, AVCON complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment at every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
AVCON expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of AVCON’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.