Traffic Design Engineer
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #54 in Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is seeking a Design Engineer to join the Traffic department. A Traffic Design Engineer is responsible for traffic engineering design using knowledge of general engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, execute, and coordinate assignments. Sponsorship not available for this position.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform engineering tasks in the traffic engineering field through application of relevant design criteria, standards, and processes
- Prepare traffic signal, signing, pavement marking, lighting, and ITS design plans
- Prepare maintenance of traffic (MOT), transportation management plans (TMP), and detour plans for design projects
- Develop construction cost estimates
- Develop and prepare specifications
- Perform traffic safety and traffic analysis studies
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Basic experience in CAD (i.e. Microstation, AutoCAD
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related course work to Traffic Engineering from ABET accredited engineering program
- EIT certification or ability to obtain within 1 year of hire
- 0 – 3 years related experience outside of coursework
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.