Guidance, Navigation, and Control Engineer
The Space Dynamics Laboratory (SDL) Strategic and Military Space Division is seeking a Senior Guidance Navigation and Controls (GN&C) engineer. Primary responsibilities would be to support a variety of satellite programs to support the US military. Candidates are required to have demonstrated technical leadership skills and subject matter expertise in spacecraft control systems. The selected candidate will also be expected to act as a senior technical authority, consultant, primary investigator, and/or team leader.
- Perform technical tasks in the areas of concept development, trade studies, source selections, requirements analyses, risk assessments, design analyses, simulation development, test planning and participation, operations support, and anomaly resolution.
- Lead cross-organizational project teams and mentor junior staff.
- Proactively identify technical problems through application of technical expertise and analysis. Inform management and recommend courses of action while maintaining open lines of communication with customers and associate contractors.
- Coordinate interfaces between internal and external customers, technical staff, and management.
- Participate in contractor technical interchange meetings and reviews.
- Perform control system design, implementation, and/or testing for customers.
- Effectively communicate technical results both orally and in writing.
- Represent organization at technical meetings, presentations, and symposia.
- Bachelor's degree in a related technical field
- Ten years of relevant satellite experience
- Expertise in one or more of the following: guidance navigation and control system design and analysis, estimation theory, advanced dynamics, orbital mechanics
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of standard control analysis and simulation tools
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with program management, customers, contractors, and colleagues
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers
- Must have or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance
- Must be a US citizen
- Must be able to travel occasionally to contractor and customer facilities
- An advanced degree in a related technical discipline
- Experience in one or more of the following: spacecraft attitude determination and control, guidance navigation and control, astrodynamics, payload pointing estimation and control, multibody and flexible body dynamics, modeling and simulation of spacecraft and payload control systems, calibration of spacecraft and payload control systems, stochastic processes and Kalman filtering, planning and conducting spacecraft control system testing, advanced control techniques and applications, and small satellite attitude determination and control design and operation
- Experience in compiled languages (e.g., C++, C)
- An active DoD Top Secret/SCI clearance or current SSBI (<4 years old)
SDL Benefits: SDL offers competitive salaries and unique benefits, among which include a variety of inexpensive-premium, quality health insurance options; automatic employer retirement contributions, up to 14.2% of base salary; flexible work schedules; generous annual and sick leave; and discounted USU tuition of 50% for employees and dependents. At SDL, we take pride in and highly value our employees. Please contact us if you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of applying.