Lead Designer - Transportation Engineer 2 In-Training
The first application review will begin on March 2, 2020. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is seeking career-minded engineers with initiative. We are seeking entry-level (graduating by June 30th, 2020) or journey-level engineers who wish to work on infrastructure projects in the Seattle Metro area. The lead designer aids in the development of preservation and improvement projects and will have a collaborative role within a dynamic design office. The in-training position includes on-the-job training with the opportunity to grow into a higher level of responsibility and know-how.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Lead Designer will:
- Prepare project plans, specifications, estimates, and other project documentation or data pertaining to the project.
- Performs design related tasks to develop and deliver transportation projects.
- Analyzes, tracks, and makes recommendations affecting the design schedule, preliminary estimate, and construction budget.
- Prepares and updates project management plans
- Completes assignments in an independent manner with only spot check supervision, focusing on key priorities.
- Coordinate with WSDOT internal team, support groups, and local agencies to deliver transportation projects.
- Coordinate and assign tasks to fellow engineers, technicians and support staff to deliver transportation projects.
- Performs other duties as required.
Minimum Requirements for Transportation Engineer 1:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent field, or Certification as an Engineer-In-Training, or one year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1, or equivalent.
- Current Driver's License
Minimum Requirements for Transportation Engineer 2:
- Minimum of two (2) years of increasing responsibilities in performing roadway design work as a Transportation Technician 3, Transportation Engineer 1, or closely equivalent experience. A BSCE degree or EIT certificate may replace one year of experience.
- Ability to complete assignments in an independent manner with only spot check supervision.
- Current Driver's License
In addition to the Minimum Requirements above, ideal candidates at either level will have:
- Ability to travel occasionally, typically to local or regional sites to meet with stakeholders, conduct business, or attend trainings.
- Ability to learn and utilize computer software programs.
- Ability to work in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain, and work in confined spaces.
- Ability to foster and maintain respectful and professional relationships with team members, customers, and stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate clearly and articulately in all forms of communication, including e-mail.
- Ability to review, formulate, and recommend engineering solutions.
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) Certification.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE must be obtained by June 30, 2020)
- Application review will begin on February 19, 2020. Candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium Pay.
- This position requires occasional travel, and is typically local or regional to meet with stakeholders, conduct business, or attend trainings.
- This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress upward through the Transportation Engineer field and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Engineer 2. Candidates will be considered for a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Engineer 2, depending on their qualifications. Annual salary levels for each position are:
- Transportation Engineer 1: $56,904 - $76,053
- Transportation Engineer 2: $62,407 - $83,941
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals' lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the "Work Experience" portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the "References" section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-126998m in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.