Bridge Design Engineer/Bridge Safety Inspector
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #54 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT’s growing Structures Team is seeking to add a dynamic Bridge Design Engineer/ Bridge Safety Inspector to their Herndon, Virginia Office.
The Bridge Design Engineer/ Bridge Safety Inspector will be responsible for conducting NBIS inspections of in-service transportation structures such as bridges, culverts, retaining walls, and ancillary structures. The Bridge Design Engineer/ Bridge Safety Inspector will receive general supervision from the Project Manager and will work closely with a NBIS certified inspection team leader. Bridge safety inspection tasks and responsibilities will include: reviewing existing structure information, conducting bridge inspections using lane closures and access equipment as appropriate, recording and quantifying structural deficiencies, developing structural repair and maintenance recommendations, and preparing bridge inspection reports.
The Bridge Design Engineer/ Bridge Safety Inspector will also design bridge and transportation structures of varying complexity in accordance with AASHTO and VDOT Specifications. The Bridge Design Engineer/ Bridge Safety Inspector will receive general supervision from the Project Manager and will work closely with Professional Engineers. Bridge design tasks and responsibilities will include: structural analysis and design calculations, plan preparation, cost estimate development, and review of construction submittals. Sponsorship not available for this position.
- Ability to work on multiple project assignments in a dynamic, fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Experience in using structural analysis and design software, MicroStation drafting software, and proficiency in Microsoft Office software including WORD and EXCEL.
- Ability to write, speak, and communicate clearly.
- Ability to analyze statically determinate and indeterminate structures and bridges.
- Knowledge of structural design principles for steel, reinforced concrete, and prestressed concrete for both superstructure and substructure components.
- 0-5 years of experience performing in-service bridge safety inspections and/or design of highway bridges and transportation structures.
- Experience in performing in-service bridge safety inspections preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in structures.
- Passed Virginia FE exam or has Virginia PE license.
- Experience in performing load ratings using AASHTOWare Bridge Rating software.
- Experience in proper use of fall safety protection.
- Experience in using LCAMS, VDOT’s online database used to register and coordinate lane closures, and VA Traffic, VDOT’s online database used to coordinate lane closures with the VDOT 511 system.
- Qualify as a Bridge Safety Inspection Team Leader as defined by the National Bridge Inspection Standards (23 CFR 650, Subpart C).
- Proof of successfully completing a FHWA approved comprehensive bridge inspection safety course.
- Proof of successfully completing the NHI-FHWA course “Fracture Critical Inspection Techniques for Steel Bridges”.
- Proof of successfully completing the NHI-FHWA course “Inspection and Maintenance of Ancillary Highway Structures”.
Work is performed in the office 67% of the time and in the field 33% of the time. Inspection work will be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions and on uneven terrain or surfaces. Candidate must have the ability to perform inspections while bending, kneeling, or standing, and lift or carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds as needed. Work will require the operation of access equipment and performing inspections at heights requiring fall protection. Design work generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
- Analytical thinking/Problem solving
- Decision Making
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce