Research Engineer (energy R&D focus)
The incumbent will join a multi-disciplinary team comprised of CRREL, ERDC, other government agencies, industry, universities, and other non-federal laboratories conducting austere and resilient energy technologies RDTE for a wide variety of Department of Defense applications. The initial focus of this position will be to join engineers and technicians where you will contribute to multiple areas:
· Testing and Prototyping for energy system technologies such as Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells, Micro-turbines, Ultra-capacitors, and other power generation technologies.
· Investigation of and Improvements to cold region climate implications on energy system controls.
· Integration of multiple fuels into resilient power grids for homeland infrastructure and remote Arctic communities and DOD installations.
· Evaluation and Development of microgrid design options for DOD applications, including research facilities and applications.
· Installation Resiliency: installation energy & water planning including response to disruption.
Starting Salary: $60 – $90k(+) per year, depending on degree, experience, and other qualifications.
Promotion and Pay Potential: Qualified U.S. citizens are placed in a salary based on their expertise and experience. Future recommendations for promotions outside grade are subject to panels using established research-related standards. Promotion potential for this position includes GS-15 ($125-160k).
About ERDC/CRREL: The U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) is one of the most diverse engineering and scientific organizations in the world. Provides high quality, responsive engineering and environmental research and development support to the Army and Nation. As part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers team, ERDC develops innovative science and technology solutions to support warfighting, infrastructure, environmental, water resources and disaster operations. It consists of seven laboratories at four geographical sites in Vicksburg, MS; Champaign, IL; Hanover, NH; and Alexandria, VA. ERDC employs more than 2,000 engineers, scientists and support personnel. For more information on our organization, please visit our website at http://www.erdc.usace.army.mil/Locations/CRREL.aspx.
About Our Location: Hanover, New Hampshire. The crown jewel of the Upper Connecticut River Valley, Hanover has been called by Money Magazine the number one town in the East among “smaller places that offer the best combination of economic opportunity, good school, safe streets, things to do and a real sense of community.” For additional information about Hanover, please see: http://hanoverchamber.org/.