System Engineer I
System Engineer I
PAE is a leading provider of support for essential missions of the U.S. Government, its allied partners and international organizations. PAE’s portfolio includes capabilities in critical facility infrastructure, aviation, logistics, training, meteorological data collection platforms, range operations and national security solutions, to support complex missions for customers around the world.
PAE, in support of the National Data Buoy Center (NDBC) out of Stennis Space Center (SSC), is currently seeking a Systems Engineer reporting to the Engineering Manager. The Systems Engineer will have a critical role in both maintaining and developing platforms that provide real time, high quality weather and climate observations used in public safety products such as marine and tropical storm forecasts and tsunami warnings.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with team to design new products and test methods, improve existing systems, perform system analysis, and trouble-shoot current systems.
- Communicate effectively with the client technical team on their requirements.
- Participate in preliminary and critical design reviews, interpreting software and hardware requirements, recognizing associated risks, and communicating pros and cons of design.
- Prepare procedures and documentation following standardized formats for use, operation, back-up and recovery, problem resolution, shut-down and initialization, and process automation.
- Test systems to assure accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness to achieve desired results. Design, test, and implement new automation processes when the need is identified.
- Interface, test, and trouble-shoot meteorological sensors including air temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, wind speed, wind direction, water temperature, accelerometers, magnetometers, gyroscopes.
- Analyze reasons for failure and revise assigned programs and/or procedures as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understanding of hardware and software aspects of embedded microcomputer-based data acquisition systems
- Understanding of common electronic communications protocols including RS-232, I2C, 802.15 wireless.
- Ability to maintain both the hardware and software aspects of systems.
- Ability to use common electronic test equipment including oscilloscopes and digital multimeters.
- Ability to generate and interpret electronic schematics as well as understand mechanical drawings.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of an engineering team.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Software Engineering required.
- 5 years of experience in the installation, operation, test and maintenance of analog and digital instrumentation systems, ground and satellite communications systems and microcomputer-based data acquisition systems preferred.
- Experience with common software languages including C, C++ required.
- Experience in supporting Windows/Linux environments preferred.
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.