Traffic Design Engineer - Virginia Beach, VA
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #52 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT's Virginia Beach Traffic Team is seeking enthusiastic and dynamic Design Engineer to be responsible for the evaluation, study, and design of: traffic signal installations and systems, signing and pavement marking systems, maintenance of traffic, guardrail and other traffic/roadway design elements. Other duties include, but are not limited to, report writing, funding application preparation and traffic analysis using modeling systems. All assignments to be done using knowledge of general engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, execute, and coordinate assignments. We require candidates capable of performing multiple tasks and standalone projects in a dynamic, exciting, and family oriented environment. Sponsorship not available for this position.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects
- Evaluate existing traffic data and software outputs to determine appropriate actions to enhance safety and operations
- Develop written reports (Traffic Impact Analyses, Design Reports, Safety Reports, etc.) to document findings of operational and safety evaluations
- Perform design computations
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and drawing tools
- Develop construction cost estimates
- Assist in the preparation of engineering documents, specifications, and estimates
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Experience using CAD software such as MicroStation or AutoCAD
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Familiarity in traffic engineering design and analysis software, such as Synchro, VISSIM and/or Sidra
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field from an ABET accredited engineering program
- 0-5 years experience in specialized discipline
- EIT preferred
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs.) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.