Research Civil Engineer
We are seeking motivated individuals to work in bridge safety assessment and engineering with the Structural Engineering Branch in the Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory.
PUBLIC NOTICE FOR POSITIONS FILLED UNDER DIRECT HIRE AUTHORITY (DHA) FOR:
Certain Competitive Service Positions covered by Section 1109
Opening and Closing Dates: June 24, 2020 – July 10, 2020
Position Title: Research Civil Engineer (Structural)
Full Performance Level: DB-04
Duty Location: Vicksburg, MS
Salary Range: $34,916 - $83,210
Work Schedule: Full-time
Appointment Type: Permanent
Travel Requirement: 10% or more Temporary Duty Travel may be required.
Who May Apply: All U.S. Citizens Responsibilities/Duties: Position is at a developmental level for engineers and scientist performing research, development, test and evaluation engineering, and coordination of services in program development and execution. Assignments are part of a project or may include developing information from a variety of sources. As a junior engineer, you will be assigned to a senior engineer or group of engineers. Your tasks will be designed to familiarize you with different aspects of the occupation. Position requires assistance in analyses of statistical or numerical data and preparation on interim and final reports. Assist with preparation of reports and technology-transfer products, including writing sections of some reports. Use writing skills developed through English composition or literature coursework or technical writing experience. Ability to direct, supervise, and manage project is desirable.
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
All applicants must meet one of the following requirements to qualify for consideration for an engineering position:
A. Successful completion of a degree in engineering that: (1) has at least one program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET); or (2) that included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced that first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials; (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials; and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics; OR
B. Combination of education or training: college level education, training and/or technical experience that has furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering.
The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1. Professional registration or licensure - current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), engineer in Training (EIT), or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE).
2. Written Test - Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination, or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
3. Specified academic courses - Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences which included the courses as specified in Paragraph A above.
4. Related curriculum - Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. There should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering type experience. This must be clearly described in your resume.
Full qualification standards can be found at the OPM site at this link -
Conditions of Employment:
• Must meet suitability for Federal employment
• Will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship
• Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration
• Must have a valid drivers license
• Personnel security investigation required
How to Apply:
Please provide your current resume and transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable, but must be in a readable [preferably .pdf] format and reflect all related coursework and degree date)
1) Via Email: to: email@example.com
2) Please ensure your email has the following subject line: DHA Applicant for Bridge Team
3) Application packages will be accepted through 11:59pm CT on 7/10/2020
Application packages that are received after the closing date, or do not
contain resume and transcripts will not be considered.
Disclaimer: You are about to provide person data. By completing this online application, you are authorizing the US Army Engineer Research & Development Center (ERDC) to use this data in the recruiting, application, and selection processes. The information collected will be accessible to ERDC employees relevant to such processes.