Electrical Engineer I
Black Hills Energy’s Engineering Resources department is designed to help entry-level engineers develop technical skills and utility business aptitude through various assignments across the electrical engineering organization and through assignments in other business functions as applicable.
SALARY RANGE: $57,750 - $86,650 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Engineering Resources Manager
LOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota
- To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- Relocation assistance is available for this position! Package is based on distance/complexity of the move, and individual circumstances. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support Black Hills Energy’s electric utilities by performing tasks of limited and specific scope under the direction of experienced personnel. Primary focus will be on completing projects related to substation, protection, and transmission and distribution line engineering.
- Effectively prepare or review documentation with a high degree of accuracy and completeness using tools and templates available, including detailed control schematics, wiring diagrams and protection logic drawings.
- Gather and analyze data from multiple sources in support of projects or initiatives.
- Learn to anticipate problems. Solve a range of problems and analyze possible solutions using standard procedures.
- Coordinate with field personnel and contractors in the installation, verification and upgrade of transmission and distribution equipment.
- Complete detailed project estimates and contribute to financial tracking activities.
- Adhere to project delivery guidelines in completion of capital projects. Learn to prioritize workflow, establish schedule and monitor accomplishments.
- Maintain a safe work environment by developing knowledge of Black Hills Energy’s safety policies, procedures and stop work authority.
- Under the guidance of the Engineering Resources Manager, create and maintain a development plan that ensures well-rounded exposure to engineering within the electric utilities.
- Demonstrate agility and a positive attitude in complying with the implementation of changes.
- Support process improvements. Participate on continuous improvement teams.
- Comply with industry regulations.
- Complete all assigned training tasks. Continuously train to improve job skills.
- Complete assignments in other departments as appropriate for employee development and in support of Company needs.
- Support system operations group during outages and emergencies.
- Work to establish positive, professional relationships throughout Black Hills Energy and with external organizations.
- Be responsive to internal and external customers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required.
- Electrical engineering degree preferred.
- Power systems emphasis preferred.
- Relevant experience through Black Hills Energy or other internships preferred.
- Energy industry experience preferred.
- Learn and apply basic fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of electrical engineering.
- Develop a general understanding of network design, standards and system operations.
- Develop basic knowledge of Black Hills Energy’s support functions, including but not limited to Finance, Accounting, IT and Supply Chain.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to interact in a team environment.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word, Power Point, Project and Outlook.
- Ability to maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Ability to work concurrently on multiple projects independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to document and track projects and work goals.
- Self-motivated with a desire to learn diverse topics and skills.
- Requires travel within the utility service territory and for support of corporate subsidiaries.
- Perform work in close proximity to energized electrical facilities.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. The employee may occasionally (less than 33%) be required to: push, pull and reach. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level, and occasionally outdoors in sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards including variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height, or close quarters. Must be capable of up to 10% travel (e.g. 2 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job, and the employee must have the ability to drive and have proper licensing.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.