Duty Station: Dahlgren, VA
Organization: Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren Division
Unmanned and Autonomous Systems Branch (H42)
Point of Contact: Ms. Stephanie George Stephanie.S.George@navy.mil 540-846-2972
Travel: Minimal CONUS and local travel required
Clearance Level Required: Secret U.S.Citizenship required
Job Summary: The Unmanned and Autonomous Systems Branch (H42) develops and integrates software system and associated technologies required to create and field networked weaponized unmanned and autonomous air, ground, and surface systems. One area within H42 that is rapidly growing is the Intelligent Tracker (IT); its mission is to increase automation in the process of engaging threats using remote weapon stations. IT, specifically, is a software product designed to provide detection and tracking automation for direct fire weapon systems. The initial application is the US Army’s Next Generation Combat Vehicles where IT is providing detection and tracking solutions to optionally manned armored vehicles. The Software Engineer will be primarily responsible for development of the IT software product and associated algorithms.
Major Duties: The primary tasking will include, but is not limited to, the design, creation, integration, and testing of the IT software. The main responsibilities of the position will be to develop core software to automate detection and tracking of targets for remote weapon stations. Detection and tracking algorithm development is centered around computer vision processing techniques, including deep neural networks and other machine learning approaches. This software also must run on embedded processors and utilize GPU acceleration tools. Platform integration with IT will also be required. Required activities include: designing software components and algorithms for the integration and creation of the required capabilities, developing algorithms for RWS automation, and characterizing system performance. The candidate shall have demonstrated experience with complex software design and architecture as well as system analysis and hardware driver integration.
Qualifications and Competencies Required:
- Programming experience in C/C++. At least one year of experience is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in software design principles and practices.
- Experience in complex software design, software analysis, and hardware driver integration.
- Familiarity with software and hardware based laboratory prototyping.
- Knowledge and/or experience with system and software architecture.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to a variety of audiences.
Qualifications and Competencies Desired:
- Knowledge of Docker and associated toolkits.
- Knowledge of machine learning frameworks (Caffe, Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, etc.)
- Knowledge in robotics and computer vision (object detection and pattern recognition).
- Knowledge in neural networks and artificial intelligence.
- Knowledge in software and hardware prototyping.
- Operating systems: Comfort with development in Linux / Ubuntu, and commonly associated system administration tasks.
- Network configuration and troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with multiple languages (Python, git, bash, etc.).