Roadway Preliminary Designer
Associate in Engineering 2 – Roadway Preliminary Designer
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery and Operations Division – Region 1
Do you want to design concepts for interchanges, intersections and other parts of our multimodal transportation system? Our team in Region 1 is looking for a roadway preliminary designer to work under the direction of a professional engineer. You will develop and use your interdisciplinary engineering knowledge for scoping, advanced investigation and project development improvement from early stages to final engineering design. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Under the direction of a professional engineer, develop conceptual engineering designs using CADD workstation, mosaics, topographic mapping, as-built plans, quad sheets and field survey data.
- Consider traffic analysis, environmental constraints, state and local planning documents as well as structural, geotechnical, utility, drainage and other engineering issues.
- Perform preliminary engineering work and assist in reviewing and preparing required documents for complex projects.
- Develop the required narrative, scope, schedule, budget work plans, agenda, meeting minutes and other required deliverables for multidisciplinary projects.
- Assist in gathering data, developing goals and evaluation criteria and identifying problems in project development.
- Prepare and analyze design alternatives as needed; prepare cost assessments and environmental impact assessments for alternatives.
- Prepare or make presentations to agency teams, local agencies and citizen groups.
- Consult and coordinate with other units (bridge engineering, right of way, environmental, survey, planning, etc.) in contract plans preparation.
- Work will be performed in an office environment. May perform field visits and be subject to hazards of terrain, traffic, weather and construction. May be required to travel.
- Occasional overtime, night or weekend work may be required.
What’s in it for you:
- Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Colleagues who are passionate about public service.
- Work/life balance and 10 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules and competitive benefits packages. Click here to visit our full benefits website.
- Multimodal ride sharing! Get There is Oregon’s easy-to-use carpool matching tool and trip planner that will get you where you need to go.
- Live, work and play in Portland, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click HERE to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
Additionally, driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
Click here to learn more and to apply! Please note that we can only accept applications and/or resumes through our website.
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, July 16, 2020.
For questions about the job announcement or online application, please call Wesley Dawn in recruitment at 503-480-5181 or email email@example.com.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.