Optimized Operations (O2) EHS Engineering Intern
Optimized Operations Environmental, Health and Safety Intern for Summer 2021
Collaborate with Innovative 3Mers Around the World
Choosing where to start and grow your career has a major impact on your professional and personal life, so it’s equally important you know that the company that you choose to work at, and its leaders, will support and guide you. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place where you can collaborate with 96,000 other curious, creative 3Mers.
“At 3M, we excel by combining our talents while leveraging creative and curious minds. This is most impactful when we center our objective at improving the customer experience. It’s a privilege to work for such a great company, with amazing people, and leadership that cultivates a growth-mindset.” – Eric Hammes, executive vice president of Enterprise Operations at 3M
An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule throughout a 10-12 week assignment. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Applications on this requisition are reviewed and filled on a rolling basis; it is in a candidate’s best interest to apply as soon as possible. Interested candidates should include a resume as part of their application.
The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
As an Optimized Operations Environmental Health & Safety Intern, you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the world. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Participating in extensive training such as Lean Six Sigma, project management and leadership development
- Providing leadership on assigned projects, with mentoring, to develop proficiency using established methods, practices, and concepts that are heavily weighted by Six Sigma methodology and focused on Lean Manufacturing Principles.
- Project work may include waste reduction, safety improvements, industrial hygiene improvements, quality improvements, efficiency improvements, process control improvements, complex data analysis and interpretation, etc.
Optimized Operations at 3M
This role is part of the Optimized Operations Experience. 3M Optimized Operations (O2) is a manufacturing and supply chain program that provides recent graduates an opportunity to jump start their careers. It includes training in Lean Six Sigma, advanced statistics, project leadership, supply chain principles and applied learning. O2s interact and network with senior leadership to make a real impact to our operations. Visit 3M.com/careers-O2 for more program details.
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M is looking for candidates who must have the following qualifications:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Must be willing to be located anywhere in the continental U.S. for the length of the O2 internship
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree or higher in environmental health & safety from an accredited institution
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Previous or current internship co-op and/or industry experience
- Previous experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills along with strong computer skills
- Ability to work on cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated leadership ability, organizational skills, process control, and statistical knowledge
- Demonstrated experience with flexible work locations
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Supporting Your Well-being
3M offers many programs to help you live your best life – both physically and financially. To ensure competitive pay and benefits, 3M regularly benchmarks with other companies that are comparable in size and scope.
Resources for You
For more details on what happens before, during and after the interview process, check out the Insights for Candidates page at 3M.com/careers.