Power Electronics Systems Engineering Intern
This Systems Engineer within the Wolfspeed Power R&D team will play a key role in defining the next generation of high voltage (>600 V), high current (A to kA), Silicon Carbide (SiC) power semiconductor device technology building blocks and packaging technologies. They will use a multi-disciplinary approach to understand customer needs, develop concepts, design experiments, customize testbeds, and quantify key design tradeoff spaces. Results will be used to guide design approaches, highlight technology gaps, and justify/prioritize roadmap development thrust areas.
What can Wolfspeed do for you?
- Join a high-visibility systems team working closely with all parts of the Wolfspeed Power business.
- Develop in-depth, hands-on experience with the latest high-voltage SiC power semiconductor die, discrete packaged parts, and multi-chip power modules.
- Define and work on exciting projects across a range of important and challenging topics.
- Opportunity to guide the development of next-generation semiconductor device designs to bring new levels of performance, affordability, and usability to a wide-ranging marketplace.
What can you do for Wolfspeed?
- Interface with the Sales, Marketing, and Applications Engineering groups + key customers to clearly understand customer needs.
- Work closely with the Test, Characterization, Reliability, and Failure Analysis teams to maintain understanding of the present state of technology.
- Assess technology gaps and identify where R&D activity is needed to enable the business to offer systematic solutions meeting customer’s complete set of needs.
- Work with power semiconductor device design and fabrication process engineering to design exploratory simulations and experiments to prove concepts and quantify tradeoff spaces.
- Design testbeds to validate product performance, identify safe operating areas, and validate failure modes. Develop necessary metrology, datalogging, and post-processing tools facilitate clear understanding.
- Capture high-value intellectual property through invention disclosures and patent filings.
What you need for success:
- MS degree in Electrical Engineering (or currently working towards) with experience in one or more of the following fields: power electronic converter design, applications engineering, power semiconductor device characterization / test engineering, power packaging technology, RF/electromagnetic engineering, motor drive.
- Strong working knowledge in multiple physical domains: electrical, magnetic, thermal, and mechanical. Able to communicate effectively across domains in terms of interaction modes, failure modes, and best-known practices within the context of power electronic converters.
- Strong logical, curious mindset – committed to pushing towards root cause understandings and going beyond surface level “is this good enough” kinds of questions.
- Experience defining, scoping, and leading research projects to a tangible conclusion.
- Comfortable exploring product performance limits and failure modes via simulation through destructive hardware testing at high voltages and high currents. [Translation: blowing stuff up to learn things.]
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Technical reporting at peer level and business management level.
- Comfortable to request support, justify priorities, and seek buy-in from the business unit.
Additional helpful skills:
- Computational modeling skills – FEM, FDTD, MOM etc. either writing own code or using tools such as Ansys, COMSOL, CST.
- Electronic design skills – Cadence, Spice, Altium/PCB design
- Understanding of power electronics switching topologies (inverter, buck converter, etc)
- Test & measurement skills – be able to take things from computer screen to lab and corroborate results
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.