2021 Summer Engineering Co-Op
This CO-OP position in Greenville, North Carolina provides an opportunity for engineering and science students to get hands on experience in a manufacturing environment.
We consider students with technical/functional competence as well as their ability to work as team members within their assigned department. Training is on-the-job with experienced supervision and support. Co-op assignments vary within each department and are determined by need. Work assignments commonly incorporate some entry level work with guidance given for first-time experiences. Future work assignments increase in responsibility, complexity, and challenge. The rate at which a student can assume additional responsibilities is determined by his or her level of maturity, interest, initiative, and academic background. Students can work on Projects such as:
· Plan, design & direct project installation/construction
· Contractor/Vendor supervision
· Manage the budget within the project scope
· Assist in Facility/Equipment Validation (IQ/OQ’s)
· Qualification of equipment modifications or improvements
· Trouble shoot existing equipment needs
· Work with outside Vendors for quotes
· Deviation investigation, root cause analysis
· Operational Excellence/Industrial Engineering
· Apply Lean/Six Sigma principles to reduce process variation & eliminate Non Value Added Activities
· Conduct time studies to ensure accuracy of production performance standards.
· Assists in executing Root Cause Analysis to drive Right First Time
· Process Map or Value Stream Map Production and Transactional Processes.
· Provide engineering support related to product development projects focusing on design elements
· Provide deliverables on designs to management of change committee
· Learn about process instrumentation diagrams and equipment operation manuals through daily activities.
· Accept candid feedback and look for areas of improvements
· Specific tasks will be tailored to the interns experience level and abilities
· Student currently enrolled in classes leading to an accredited Bachelor’s degree in a related engineering, science or life science discipline
o Preferred majors: Pharmaceutical Engineering, Operations, Industrial Engineering, Supply Chain, Chemical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Industrial Management, Electrical Engineering, Process Engineering Logistics or other related major
· Strong desire and motivation to develop a career in manufacturing/operations
· Strong leadership and team building skills
· Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
· Willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
· Desire to contribute and improve design of new and existing scientific instrumentation products
· Exceptional customer focus
· Desire to teach other engineers about technology in area of expertise
· Familiarity with of least one of the following tools: AutoCAD, Solidworks, MP2, or HYSYS/UNISIM
· Previous industrial experience is preferred
· Aptitude for working with hands and having experience using hand-tools may be beneficial
· To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!