Service Engineering – Charging Systems Internship (Summer 2021)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around May or June 2021 and continue through the entire Summer term (i.e. through August or September) or into early Fall 2021 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships.
Please consider availability before submitting an application.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
You will be part of NA Service Engineering. Service Engineering works to ensure that those working on Tesla products can do so effectively and as efficiently as possible. This is accomplished by being positioned in between service and the other engineering departments within Tesla. Among other responsibilities, Service Engineering empowers aftersales teams to diagnose and repair our products, conduct root cause analysis when the failure reason is unknown or new, as well as testing firmware and hardware and feed test data back to quality, hardware and firmware design teams to improve the product.
The internship focuses specifically on the charging system of all Tesla vehicles. Projects will be discussed with the candidate in more detail. Potential projects:
- Creating diagnostic software tools for automated analysis of vehicle logs to identify issues related to charging, allowing service technicians and customer support to diagnose customer concerns.
- Drafting and reviewing of customer-facing and charging-related vehicle alert messages to improve troubleshooting guidelines for customers.
Learning Goals & Tasks
The candidate will acquire the following skills:
- Detailed understanding of all components involved in EV charging, including charging stations, vehicle harnesses, charge port and onboard charger.
- Detailed understanding of electric vehicle impact and interaction with AC utility grid, charging stations and electrical installations.
- Gain experience in developing diagnostic tools that are fast and accurate. Mostly written in Python.
- Learn how to conduct system and/or component level validation so feedback is sufficient and useful to improve the product.
- Pursuing BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Previous or planned courses within power electronics and high voltage components, AC power systems, the electric transmission/distribution grid
- Experience with data acquisition and analysis and processing tools, including one or more programming or scripting languages (C/C++, Python or others)
- Knowledge of electric vehicle technology and/or electric vehicle charging standards recommended