Job Title: Civil Engineer I
Department: Engineering Group
Reports to: Engineering Project Manager
This position is the entry-level position (0-2 years of experience) for engineering interns seeking to develop professional engineering design and consulting capabilities. Individuals in this position perform limited assignments designed to develop professional engineering work knowledge and abilities, requiring, application of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks. Limited exercise of judgment is required on details of work, and when making preliminary selections and adaptations of engineering alternatives.
· Execute project assignments from clients and upper management.
· Provide designs on various engineering projects requiring professional licensure, such as street and signal plans and traffic studies.
· Act as project manager or team member on various design and construction projects.
· Inspect signals to ensure compliance with design and contract specifications.
· Develop and review traffic signal plans.
· Prepare, evaluate, and modify signal timings and progression schemes.
· Serve as a member of various committees as assigned.
· Provide engineering designs and costs estimates for other departments.
· Supervise staff, assign daily tasks, coordinate, and manage projects, and ensure training needs are met.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Knowledge of codes, design and construction practices.
· Knowledge of city and department policies and procedures
· Knowledge of principles and practices of civil engineering
· Knowledge of local codes and ordinances
· Knowledge of engineering and surveying practices
· Skill in planning, organizing, and prioritizing work
· Skill in performing mathematical computations
· Skill in the use of computer applications (Microsoft Office 365, AutoCADD 3D, ICPR, WaterCAD, StormCAD, etc.)
· Skill in supervision of personnel
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to work well in a team environment
· Ability to maintain integrity and professionalism with clients, community, and fellow employees
· Ability to adapt to encountered obstacles to meet project objectives on time and on budget
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Position Type & Hours: Full-Time (40 Hours per Week)
Travel: Up to 10% (Locally, between offices or to client site)
Required Education & Experience:
· 4-year degree in civil engineering or a related field
· 0-2 years of experience in design or engineering
· Registered as an engineer-in-training (seeking to obtain P.E. license in the State of Florida within 4 years)
RWA intends to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all qualified applicants and team members without regard to race, color, creed, gender, sexual preference, age, marital status, national origin, religion, handicap, disability, or veteran status. All personnel matters including, but not limited to recruitment, employment, compensation, benefits, social/recreational programs, training, promotion, and termination will be handled accordingly. Employment decisions will be based on objective criteria. RWA will recruit, hire, train and promote into all job levels the most qualified persons on the basis of satisfying the particular requirements of the job independently of one’s race, color, creed, gender, age, sexual preference, marital status, national origin, handicap, disability, religion or veteran status.