Spring Cultural Resource Member - Andersonville National Historic Site
Summary: American Conservation Experience (ACE), a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service (NPS), is seeking ONE Cultural Resource Member interested in dedicating 16 weeks in support of Andersonville National Historic Site. This position will cover a variety of cultural resource management projects such as cataloging historic objects and documents, environmental monitoring, assisting with annual museum inventory, transcribing oral histories and other hands-on resource management tasks.
Start Date: January 25th, 2021
End Date: May 15th, 2021
*Start dates may be tentative due to Covid-19. A 16 week commitment is required*
Location: Andersonville National Historic Park, Andersonville, Georgia.
Andersonville National Historic Site began as a stockade built about 18 months before the end of the U.S. Civil War to hold Union Army prisoners captured by Confederate soldiers. Today, Andersonville National Historic Site comprises three distinct components: the former site of Camp Sumter military prison, the Andersonville National Cemetery, and the National Prisoner of War Museum, which opened in 1998 to honor all U.S. prisoners of war in all wars.
Project Website: To learn more about the Andersonville National Historic Site, please visit https://www.nps.gov/ande.
For more information regarding the ACE, please visit: www.usaconservation.org.
Living Allowance: The ACE Member is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $560/week to cover the costs of food, housing and incidental expenses, paid biweekly. An additional one time relocation stipend not-to-exceed $650 is available.
Housing: Housing is not provided and is the responsibility of the member.
Position Description: The member will work alongside Andersonville NHS staff to accomplish a number of hands on resource management tasks.
Specific duties include:
- Cataloging historic objects and documents following National Park Service Museum Handbook procedures. Catalog data will be entered into the Interior Collection Management System (ICMS).
- Perform housekeeping in museum spaces.
- Perform museum integrated pest management and enter collected data into IPM database
- Perform environmental monitoring of collection spaces using Hoboware software and create monthly graphs.
- Assist curator in performing the annual museum inventories.
- Write a short article on their learned experiences.
- Upgrade storage of museum objects to meet NPS standards.
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- This position is funded through the Public Land Corps Act which has specific program requirements.
- Must be 18-30 years of age to apply (members must be 21+ to apply for an ACE position that requires or anticipates operation of agency or ACE vehicles for duties).
- Military Veterans up to 35 are encouraged to apply.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request).
- Willing to undergo and must pass required criminal history checks.
- Willingness to work in museum storage facilities, exhibit areas and office. Work in the museum storage facility and exhibit areas will require being physically able to stand and walk for extended periods of time, and to move and retrieve archival boxes and three dimensional objects and clean exhibits.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing, with NPS resource professionals.
- Competitive applicants for this position can hold or be pursuing a minimum of a bachelor's degree and/or have relevant experience in subject areas such as museum studies, history, archeology, archives, natural resource management (specimen identification and documentation), cultural/historic preservation, or a related discipline.
- Experience with cataloguing, archival arrangement, and military history.
Please note: Marijuana and other controlled substances are not allowed at any time during the performance of duties or while on federal property, regardless of State law or qualified medical marijuana card status.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/506512.html
Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact ACE EPIC Recruitment Specialist Madison Douthitt at firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.