Music and Theatre Department Chair
New Trier is seeking a dynamic, progressive leader to chair our Music and Theatre Department, staffed by 11 Music and Theatre Department teachers (including the Chair) and additional support staff members, including accompanists. The chair supervises teachers with leadership release time, who oversee their respective strands within the music and theatre program. This position also requires additional collaboration with 20 private music instructors that provide music instruction on site and serves as the liaison with New Trier Fine Arts Association. Department leadership is shared with the Department Coordinator who is located on the Northfield Campus.
Music program students demonstrate comprehensive musicianship through performance. Theatre program students use text, design, voice, movement, technology, and storytelling to reveal and connect with human emotion, motivation, and circumstances. These programs require analysis, critique, and performance. Both develop social-emotional competencies, creativity, critical thinking, consistent collaboration, and consideration of multiple perspectives. Performance classes provide intimate contact with these expressive qualities. In this context, performance is not an end in itself but a process-oriented collaborative effort.
It is the intent of the Music and Theatre program to help students develop their aesthetic potential, to give them an understanding of their own culture and the cultures of others, and to provide a unique vehicle for achieving excellence either alone or in collaboration with others. While some students will discover talents leading to careers in music and theatre, many will find that performing arts has the potential to enrich their lives through performance, study, and/or appreciation.
The Music and Theatre Department Chair will work with other stakeholders as a member of the Winnetka Campus Leadership Team.
Learn more about our Music and Theatre program at https://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/MusicandTheatre/
- Hold or be eligible for the Illinois State Board of Education Professional Educator License with administrative endorsement, or out-of-state equivalen.t
- Hold or be eligible for the Illinois State Board of Education Qualified Evaluator.
- Minimum five years of experience as a Music/Theatre teacher at the secondary level.
- Department leadership or other educational administrative experience preferred.
- Master's/advanced degree in Music, education, or equivalent.
- Extensive knowledge of content, curriculum, and best practices in assessment and instruction including the use of technology.
- Experience in effective staff supervision/evaluation.
- Demonstration of collaborative leadership..
Please see the detailed posting with a link to the online application at https://tinyurl.com/2u77yz72