Supply Chain - Purchasing Internship (Fall 2021)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
• Austin, TX
• Buffalo, NY
• Fremont, CA
• Palo Alto, CA
• Reno, NV
About the Team
The Purchasing team supports the development, implementation and management of strategies to provide Tesla with optimal supply assurance, pricing, flexibility, quality and delivery performance. Interns build and leverages strong working relationships with our engineering teams and key suppliers to assure cost, quality, and delivery targets are met. They work toward good supplier relationships and total costs of ownership to achieve maximum advantage for Tesla and our customers.
• Direct Purchasing (materials and parts for products)
• Indirect Purchasing (supplies for operations)
• Capital Equipment
• Engineering Procurement and Construction
We are looking for a highly motivated Supply Chain Management intern to support our cross functional development teams in sourcing and project management of direct supply chain components and assemblies. These include but are not limited to raw materials, software, electronics, or components within any or all TESLA programs, including (Model S, X, 3, and Y).
This individual will implement and manage strategies to provide Tesla with optimal supply assurance, pricing, flexibility, quality and delivery performance. The ideal candidate has a fundamental understanding of key manufacturing processes, excellent project management skills, and an ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in an extremely fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate is someone who builds and leverages strong working relationships with our engineering teams and key suppliers to assure cost, quality, and delivery targets are met. They work toward good supplier relationships and total costs of ownership to achieve maximum advantage for Tesla and our customers.
Tesla is a fast moving, dynamic environment where flexibility and adaptability are key attributes needed for success. The successful candidate will be a self-starter and continuously motivated to keep learning.
• Purchase assigned commodities designated by team.
• Negotiate, evaluate and issue PO’s for assigned commodities.
• Maintain day-to-day supplier relationships; act as the leading point of contact for all commercial issues under assigned commodities.
• Identify opportunities and negotiate commercial cost reductions.
• Validate, analyze, and make sourcing recommendations based on quote packages from suppliers.
• Support Global Supply Manager on collecting NDA’s, RFQ’s, RFI’s and RFP’s and ensure all commercial terms are agreed and documented.
• Provide analysis of existing requirements and pricing to ensure the most cost-effective options.
• Work with Suppliers and Engineers to release tooling equipment into production.
• Support Engineering Team to identify suppliers available for sourcing.
• Review change order proposals and make approval or rejection recommendations.
• Pursuing undergraduate or Masters in Supply Chain Management, Business, Engineering, Construction Management and/or equivalent experience or evidence of exceptional ability.
• 3+ internship, project, or work experience in related field.
• Ability to communicate effectively and excel in time management skills in a fast-paced environment.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Microsoft Excel.