Cell Engineering Internship (Fall 2021)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
This Engineering team supports Tesla Vehicle and Energy manufacturing programs. The group collaborates on R&D and mass production projects with the supply chain, process engineering, and quality organizations. The role is at the core of product manufacturability within Tesla.
What to Expect
This Engineering intern will work under the guidance of Engineers to execute project tasks relating to manufacturing needs. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners and external vendors and suppliers. This could include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Lead process development and improvement plans
- Participate in equipment validation
- Perform identification, root cause analysis, and resolution of product manufacturing issues
- Resolve issues and concerns with cross functional teams including engineering, supply chain, manufacturing, and/or service.
- Manage small projects from start to finish
- Currently working towards a BS or MS in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, or equivalent
- A passion to implement and work on mechanical automation equipment, robotics, design of electromechanical systems, PLCs, motion controls
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and a variety of engineering materials
- Experience with semi-automated / automated manufacturing equipment is a plus
- Experience with automotive environmental, reliability, and safety requirements is a plus
- Knowledge of lithium-ion battery technology and electrochemistry a plus
- Position will offer unique and complex engineering challenges that require persistence, innovative thinking and a positive attitude
- Hands-on experience, previous internship and/or project experience is preferred
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment, occasionally requiring extended hours
- Proven ability to operate under pressure while managing multiple priorities simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Aptitude to learn and incorporate new technologies