Manufacturing - Automation Controls Engineering Internship (Fall 2021)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2021 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Fremont, CA
- Sparks, NV
- Buffalo, NY
About the Team
Tesla is seeking highly-motivated post-secondary interns to contribute to the design and development of new automation equipment and assembly lines for our advanced production facilities. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of the team “building the machine that makes the machine”. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on a critical subsystem of incredibly exciting products.
- Automation Controls Engineering
- Manufacturing Resources
- Powertrain Manufacturing
What to Expect
The Automation Controls Engineering Intern will work under the guidance of Controls Engineers to develop, design, and program control systems for new equipment being deployed to the production floor. The Intern will learn, apply and contribute to the further development of Tesla’s innovative controls program architecture to components such as logic controllers, machine interfaces, servo drives, and industrial robots used in our production processes.
Tasks can include:
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical schematics.
- Develop and debug ladder logic PLC code with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable.
- Interface with conveyors, robots, Manufacturing Execution System (MES), LabView
- Implement (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Manage and implement small machine projects from start to finish
- Currently pursuing a degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Computer Science, or related programs
- Coursework in analog and digital circuits, control systems, logic, and programming
- Exposure to programming microcontrollers
- Proficiency with CAD (AutoCAD, CATIA, SolidWorks)
- Able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Mastery of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio
The following skills and experiences are a plus:
- Strong propensity to build, assemble, fix and program things
- Use of common power and hand tools
- Programming experience in C++, Python, SQL or similar language
- Industrial electrical panel design
- PLC programming (Allen-Bradley, Siemens, Beckhoff or similar)
- HMI/SCADA programming (Allen-Bradley, Ignition or similar)
- Industrial robots (Fanuc, Kuka or similar)
- Servo motors and controllers (Kinetix or similar)