Assistant Civil/Structural Engineer - Transmission & Distribution (Multiple Locations)
The Assistant Civil/Structural Engineer will work under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer to assist project teams to create world class designs for new projects, alterations and redevelopments on a variety of projects including power, process, corporate, healthcare, pipeline, airports, institutional, industrial, manufacturing, government and military facilities. The Assistant Structural Engineer will work with the project team throughout the design and construction process, adapting structural plans according to budget constraints, design factors or client needs.
Project work includes design of electrical substations; both overhead and underground high-voltage transmission lines. The market is continuing to evolve due to technology advancements and policy changes. Projects partner with utilities to design, plan, and improve the modern electric grid. Structural tasks within the group include:
- Designing slab and deep foundations for substation equipment to support line structures
- Large mat foundation design for electrical transformers, such as spread footings, mat foundations, strip footings, drilled piers, and steel piles
- Foundation design incorporating oil containment
- Design and analyze structures to support rigid bus inside electrical substations
- Analyze rigid bus systems to assess the structural capacity of insulators and stress and deflection in the aluminum bus
- Assisting in the construction executing including development of civil construction specifications, cost estimate preparation, and survey coordination
- Assist with ad hoc projects as assigned by managers.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Civil or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Master of Science degree in Engineering may be substituted for one year of experience.
- Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) or Engineer-in-Training (EIT) strongly preferred.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA strongly preferred.
- Prior internship and/or related consulting experience preferred.
- Involvement on campus or in the community.
- Basic knowledge in standard civil engineering techniques, principles and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
- Proficient computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite)
- Basic computer skills (e.g. AutoCAD, MicroStation, BIM (Revit), Civil 3D, PLS, PLS-CADD, RISA-3D, MathCADD), and civil analysis programs.
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work permanently (i.e. without time limitations, without restrictions or without need for work sponsorship) in the country where this position is located.