Apprentice Site Technician
Are you looking to gain experience in an entry level position that will take you to the next level? Konecranes, one of the leading companies in the industrial world is looking for an apprentice/helper with an electrical background. This role will entail electrical and mechanical inspections that will lead to planning and the repair of overhead cranes. You will be expected to know service policies and review with our clients the repairs that need made and the course of action that will need to be taken. You will also have the opportunity to generate sales and service leads if possible. Konecranes employees work in a safety first type of environment and don’t mind heights or working on mechanical parts. As an apprentice, you will have the opportunity to experience new and challenging situations with each job that will benefit your electrical background.
- Perform maintenance inspections on electric overhead traveling cranes at customer locations.
- Conduct extensive on site electrical, electronic and mechanical troubleshooting to determine cause for equipment malfunction and establish the necessary repairs utilizing visual inspection, test procedures and appropriate test equipment.
- Perform on site repairs on overhead traveling cranes in conjunction with planned repairs as part of customer's maintenance contract, in response to a service call or on an emergency call due to an equipment breakdown.
- Responsible for a basic understanding and working knowledge or all CSA, OSHA, ANSI, CMAA, and other codes or regulations pertaining to our industry. Must be able to get specific regulations if requested.
- Responsible for completing all daily paperwork required accurately and completely.
- Document and log any quotations you provide customers (either verbal or written) and generate a document or copy of your quote for use as a follow-up sheet.
- Review with the customer all repairs you performed and get their signature on the daily service report indicating their acceptance of proper and completed work.
- Responsible for maintaining a professional appearance and image at all times.
- Maintain all company equipment and assets in proper working order and neat or clean.
- Maintain a stock of the appropriate forms and literature on the service vehicle and be capable of utilizing the proper documentation and forms used by the service department.
- Responsible for keeping a proper stock level of inventory and line stock items on the service vehicle.
- Accountable for all the company issued tools, ladders, and inventory levels assigned to you.
- Responsible for generating sales and service leads during service calls and identifying the proper personnel of the customer's need and level of interest.
- Must develop a thorough working knowledge of our service literature, service policies and labor rates.
- Must provide customers with a "Safety Summary" on any safety items noticed during service visits and bring back a signed copy of the document as evidence of our notice to the customer. (This is a basic professional courtesy required at all times. It also may protect from any liability if the crane is used.)
- Must maintain regular communication with the local office and/or call in a minimum of once per day to the service branch.
- Responsible for understanding the procurement of basic parts on service jobs, completing the proper purchase orders and developing a good working knowledge of local vendors and vendor stocked parts. If the job permits or the situation warrants, all the ordering of parts for jobs should be done by the technician servicing the account and this time should be billed to the project.
- Responsible for working a "fair share" of any 24-hour calls and overtime necessary. This will be divided as equally as possible by the service supervisor/planner.
- Responsible for completing a "Safety Audit" on the limit switches and proper general operation of any crane you have worked on or inspected prior to leaving the customer's premises.
EDUCATION: Associate’s degree in Industrial Electricity, Electronic Engineering Technology or related field or equivalent vocational/technical training and experience are preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum one (1) year experience involving electrical and electronic troubleshooting and repair. Must have good mechanical aptitude and cannot be afraid of heights. Prior experience on cranes a plus.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Must have and maintain a good driving record, including a valid driver’s license. Must be willing and able to work off the ground. Must be able to work varied overtime, as required by customer, be available for “on call” as part of the service office rotation and be able to travel and work out of town, on occasion. Must be able work off step ladders, climb fixed or step ladders, work from various type lifts, wear full body harness fall protection equipment and use properly, wear canister type mask and/or self-contained breathing apparatus when required as personal protective equipment (PPE). Frequent lifting of parts and/or components weighing 10- 20 pounds and occasional lifting of parts and/or components weighing 30-50 pounds. Infrequent lifting of parts and/or components weighing over 50 pounds. Must be able to stand, walk and climb for extended periods.