Materials Tester | Transportation Technician 3 (In-Training)
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is eager to hire multiple self-motivated professionals to support our SR 520 & Alaska Way Viaduct (AWV) program in Seattle as a Materials Tester. This In-Training position will support these programs by testing and sampling construction materials used on WSDOT projects. The incumbent will ensure accurate testing and sampling using testing equipment and established procedures. As the Materials Tester, this position is vital to ensuring that testing, sampling, and documentation of construction materials is accomplished efficiently and accurately while aligning with applicable rules and policies.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Materials Tester will:
- Review field notes for materials to ensure compliance with project specifications and standards.
- Generate materials documentation for project close-out.
- Generate reports for non-compliance issues for materials that are out of tolerance for the range of the contract.
- Produce field note records and quantities by performing basic calculations and field measurements.
- Log and track materials compliance by comparing test results to the contract requirements.
- Acquire samples in the field and perform tests in the lab or on-site as appropriate.
- Record test data, interpret results, and produce reports based on test results.
- Other tasks as assigned.
To be considered for this opportunity at the Transportation Technician 2 level, the following are required:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and two (2) years of experience performing basic technical engineering work as a Transportation Technician 1 or equivalent.
- College level or vocational/technical course work in engineering, drafting, survey, mathematics or closely related fields will substitute for the required technical engineering experience on a year for year basis
To be considered for this opportunity at the Transportation Technician 3 level, the following are required:
- Two (2) years of experience as a Transportation Technician 2 or equivalent basic technical engineering work experience.
- Qualified Tester Status in aggregate, concrete and hot mix asphalt density modules or the ability to obtain within three (3) months of hire.
In addition, Candidates at either level will have:
- Current unrestricted driver’s license
- Ability to read and understand contract documents such as special provisions, contract plans, and standard specifications.
- Ability to travel throughout the region to visit project sites and work nights, weekends, and/or extended shifts beyond standard business hours.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50lbs.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Associates Degree in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent
- Fluency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Experience in a lab and field environment testing materials
- The information provided on your application profile, any supplemental material attached to your application, and the responses to the supplemental questions will be used to determine qualifications for interview selection. Therefore, it is to your advantage that your application packet be completed in as much detail as possible.
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium.
- The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. However, the first review of applications will be on July 19th. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
- This position requires the ability to safely operate a state-owned motor vehicle to travel to and from job sites throughout the region as needed. Travel outside of the assigned region may be required for training or other assignments.
- This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress upward through the Transportation Technician field and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Technician 3. Candidates will be considered for a Transportation Technician 2 or Transportation Technician 3, depending on their qualifications. Annual salary levels for each position are:
- Transportation Technician 2: $51,445 - $69,224
- Transportation Technician 3: $58,300 - $78,334
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-80521m in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.