Fish Passage Project Controller (Transportation Engineer 3)
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is eager to hire a project controller to coordinate a diverse group of engineers and technicians as the Fish Passage Project Controller in our Mount Baker project office. This position will perform lead level controller and engineering work for fish passage and transportation projects throughout the region which includes the coordination of pre-design efforts for fish passage injunction projects and the Mount Baker Area capital program. The responsibilities of this position will have a high impact to fulfill WSDOT’s mission of providing and supporting safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options to improve livable communities and economic vitality for the state of Washington.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Fish Passage Project Controller will:
- Schedule and coordinate various activities in support of Preliminary Hydraulic Design (PHD) development including but not limited to external PHD review and comment response, coordinate joint site visits with WSDOT, WDFW, applicable Tribes and consultants, distribution of Notification of Entry letters to property owners adjacent to barrier locations, tracking status of topographic survey activities, and facilitate meetings as needed.
- Coordinate the WSDOT HQ Geotechnical advanced drilling effort at barrier locations by maintaining regular coordination with the HQ Geotechnical office and working with Region Environmental staff to obtain the needed environmental clearances for drilling.
- Develop delivery plans for upcoming fish passage projects by reviewing plans, providing comments and recommendations on delivery method and timing based on region needs.
- Serves as a lead designer and project manager in the pre-design phase to prepare and/or review delivery plans, project assignments, and project definitions.
- Work with area Project Engineering Offices and NWR RES to develop Notice of Entry and / or obtain Rights of Entry for needed onsite studies.
- Prepare, review, supervise and support the development of construction documentation to ensure all contracts are administered in compliance with WSDOT standards, policies, and legal requirements.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Certification as an Engineer in Training (EIT) and a Bachelors degree from an ABET accredited college or university with a major study in civil engineering or closely related field; OR
- A Masters degree with major study in civil engineering or closely related field; OR
- One (1) year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2, Transportation Planning Specialist 2 or equivalent experience in Environmental, Project Management, Scheduling, Design, Hydraulics, Transportation Logistics, Construction, or Construction Administration.
- Ability to effectively communicate, interact, and coordinate work activities with WSDOT staff, resource agencies, local agencies, support groups, consultants, general contractors, and support group staff in writing and verbally.
- Ability to travel throughout the region to meet with stakeholders, property owners, utilities, agency representatives, and contractors to conduct business on an as needed basis.
- Current driver’s license
- Ability to work varying shifts including evenings, nights, weekends, and overtime as needed to meet project requirements and deadlines.
- Ability to produce and analyze budget, earned value, expenditure, and scheduling reports.
- Ability to use critical path scheduling methods and the project management process and tools (CPM, Primavera) to build, update and troubleshoot project delivery schedules.
- Ability to supervise, evaluate, provide leadership, direction, mentor, and train diverse teams composed of Engineers and Technicians.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- In-depth understanding of design, environmental procedures, hydraulics, project scheduling, construction inspection, and programming process within WSDOT.
- Ability to interpret Contract Plans, Special Provisions, Standard Specifications, Standard Plans, WSDOT Design Manual, Plans Preparation Manual, and WSDOT Construction Manual requirements during administration of construction projects.
- The information provided on your application profile, any supplemental material attached to your application, and the responses to the supplemental questions will be used to determine qualifications for interview selection. Therefore, it is to your advantage that your application packet be completed in as much detail as possible.
- The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. However, the first review of applicants will be on July 19th. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-13031 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.