Traffic Design Engineer 2 (In-Training)
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT’s Northwest Region (NWR) Traffic office is currently seeking two Traffic Design Engineers with strong analytical and mathematic foundation to help prepare plans, specifications and estimates (PS&E) for traffic systems. These systems include electrical systems (traffic signals, roadside illumination, and power supply systems), standard signing, Intelligent Transportation System facilities, as well as some low-cost enhancement type projects.
Experience in Traffic Design is a plus, but it is not required. This is an in-training position that offers a career path and ample on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress through the Transportation Engineering series with the goal of becoming a Transportation Engineer 2.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Traffic Design Engineer will:
- Prepare plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E) for traffic systems.
- Use engineering techniques to design traffic systems in accordance with current State and Region design standards, practices, and policies.
- Conduct self and peer review of traffic design projects using PS&E plan checklist, provide comments and responses to issues that impact traffic plans.
- Review contractors request for information submittals and provide responses.
- Help find new and innovative solutions to roadway issues.
- Work both independently and on teams to deliver projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering and/or EIT Certificate or one year of experience as a Transportation Technician 3 or Transportation Planning Technician 3.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to apply engineering principles to traffic standards, policies and guidelines.
- Excellent communication, both verbally and written.
- Washington State Driver’s License.
- Ability to problem solve and find solutions based on proper research and fact gathering.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team setting to achieve successful results.
- Ability to prioritize and manage various tasks with multiple deadlines.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Knowledge of traffic engineering principals, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of design principles related to traffic control devices (signing, illumination, signals, and striping).
- Work experience with CAD.
- Coordination and communication with teams and the public.
- The salary listed for this position includes a legislative approved 5% premium for workers in King County.
- Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, this position may be remote in a telework capacity full-time based on work need. Once the restrictions are lifted, WSDOT supports a flexible work schedule with partial telework opportunities, depending on business needs and prior supervisor approval.
- This is an in-training position that offers a career path and on-the-job training. This position allows you to progress upward through the Transportation Engineer field and achieve the goal class of a Transportation Engineer 2. Candidates will be considered for a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Engineer 2, depending on their qualifications. Annual salary levels for each position are:
- Transportation Engineer 1: $58,300 - $78,334
- Transportation Engineer 2: $62,285 - $86,461
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Cori Shull, at ShullCo@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-10108m in the subject line.