Roadway Design Engineer- Columbus, Ohio
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #51 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT's Columbus Highways team is seeking a Design Engineer to be responsible for roadway engineering design using knowledge of general engineering principles and practices to interpret, organize, execute and coordinate assignments. Sponsorship is not available for this position. As a condition of employment, hire will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination will need to be submitted as part of the interview/hiring process.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Design and production of roadway projects for clients such as ODOT, County and Cities
- Perform design computations (i.e. horizontal and vertical design, superelevation, quantities, etc.)
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using MicroStation/GEOPAK and/or OpenRoads Designer
- Develop construction cost estimates
- Coordinate with internal team members to ensure project completion by the defined deadline and established quality metrics
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field from ABET accredited engineering program
- 3-4 years of roadway design experience
- Engineer-in-Training certification
- Proficient in MicroStation/GEOPAK
- Related experience in roadway design
- OpenRoads Designer proficiency a plus
- Experience working with DOT’s and local clients at the county and state level
- Professional Engineer certification (or ability to obtain within 12 months)
Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Building Relationship and Teamwork
- Creativity and Innovation
- Job Proficiency
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.