Electrical Engineer Trainee
Are you passionate about shaping the future of transportation in Connecticut? If so, come join our great team of engineering professionals and make an ImpaCT!
Apply Here: https://www.jobapscloud.com/CT/sup/BulPreview.asp?R1=210721&R2=8741FS&R3=002
Application Deadline: 8/9/2021 11:59:00 PM
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for an Electrical Engineer Trainee within the Traffic Signals, Electrical Section in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Division of Traffic Engineering in Newington, CT. The official State job classification for this position is Transportation Engineer Trainee (Engineering). It is the DOT's mission to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. Learn more about our mission, vison, and values here!
Current Electrical Engineering students who will be graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering by the end of August 2021 are strongly encouraged to apply!
The Role: Transportation Engineer Trainee positions are entry-level engineering positions and primarily perform transportation design and related engineering work. Transportation Engineer Trainees receive training to develop technical engineering skills/knowledge and are eligible for promotion to the target class of Transportation Engineer 1 (Engineering) after successful completion of the one (1) year training program. These positions are full-time, 40 hours per week. Discover the opportunity to utilize computer aided design software (Microstation) and other applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel. In this role you'll be able to showcase your oral, written, organizational and interpersonal skills. You'll read and analyze construction plans and estimates. You will also be expected to problem solve, recommend, and implement effective solutions in a timely manner.
Application Details: Please attach your resume within the Resume tab of your application. Please also list your Driver's license number, expiration date, and issuing State, Engineer in Training license number (if applicable) and any other job-relevant licenses or certifications you hold in the Licenses and Professional Certifications section of your application. In the location section of your application select Newington, or all. Failure to complete any of these steps may result in not being considered for this role.
What We Can Offer You: Competitive starting salary, excellent State benefits package including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, alternate work schedule options and a culture that promotes work-life balance! We also offer the convenience of an on-site, low-cost fitness center, on-site cafeteria and Electric Vehicle (EV) charging at our Newington, CT Headquarters facility. DOT facilities have ample free parking with easy access from major highways or by public transportation.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, available to travel to and attend trainings, conferences, public meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours when necessary.
Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which support your qualifications for this position. These documents may include cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, foreign education equivalency reports from a recognized USA accrediting service, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisory references, etc.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however applications to this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in this job classification.
Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Should you have any questions regarding this recruitment please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority, this class is accountable for receiving training in introductory professional engineering work for the development of technical and professional transportation engineering and transportation construction engineering skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement in the field of transportation engineering.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Electrical Engineer Trainees in the Traffic Signals, Electrical section are exposed to stimulating work assignments to enhance their engineering skills.
- Design and review of electrical elements for traffic control signals and other electrical needs on all State roadways
- Prepare plans using CAD software
- Prepare specifications and estimates for electrical elements related to transportation projects
- Coordinate with utilities on Traffic Engineering signal projects and ensure NESC, NEC, and PURA codes/regulations are met
- Review and approve product data submittals from contractors for signal equipment
- Conduct field inspection and ensure electrical elements of traffic signals are constructed per contract documents
- Prepare power letters used to determine electricity costs for State-owned signal equipment
- Provide technical assistance in researching and developing specifications for new technology
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General knowledge of basic transportation engineering theories, principles and methods; skill in use of drafting and calculating instruments and other computer applications; considerable ability in performing mathematical computations, making neat and accurate drawings and preparing minor design and structural details.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Possession of Land Surveyor (LS) licensure or Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
2. Possession of Land Surveyor-In-Training (LSIT) licensure or Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
3. Possession of at least Level III certification, from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), in one of the following Civil Engineering Technology Programs may be substituted for the General Experience requirement:
a. Transportation Construction Inspection Program - Highway Construction Inspection.
b. Construction Materials Testing Program - Asphalt or Concrete.
c. Transportation Program - Highway Materials, Highway Surveys or Highway Construction Inspection
4. Possession of a Level III Survey Technician Certification from the National Society of Professional Surveyors may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- 3.0 or higher grade-point average in relevant engineering courses.
- Academic, internship, or work history experience utilizing engineering-related computer software.
- Experience with presentation skills and oral and written communication skills.
- Completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some risk of injury or physical harm from highway, construction site, or on-site environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.