Electrical Design Engineer- York, PA
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,600 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #51 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is seeking a degreed electrical engineer with the desire to work within a fast paced quality driven environment within a growing organization. The Design Engineer will be working with senior engineering staff from the initial electrical conceptual design through construction and also commissioning of large and small facilities type projects. The Design Engineer will have the opportunity to work with a diverse and experienced staff in resolving a variety of complex problems, (i.e. conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials, difficult coordination requirements) while benefitting from a solid quality control process. The ideal candidate is an individual with the motivation and desire to excel within the consulting engineering field while embracing challenges as opportunities for personal and professional growth within the organization.
Typical work assignments center around facilities engineering and design projects of varying sizes within the educational, public works, water/wastewater, transportation, transit, health care and aviation industries. JMT is seeking candidates with a wide range of design and engineering experience with building electrical systems including lighting systems, power and emergency power distribution systems; fire alarm systems; security; CCTV and access control; and communication systems. Sponsorship is not available for this position. As a condition of employment, hire will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination will need to be submitted as part of the interview/hiring process.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Design projects in accordance with client specifications and guidelines, using design software and drawing tools.
- Prepare and compile contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- Attend meetings with clients.
- Collaborate with internal team members.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills are required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to successfully function in a fast-paced cooperative team environment spanning across multiple offices.
- Desire to participate and excel with a broad range of project types, roles, customers, and tasks.
- Understanding and application of NEC, IBC and NFPA codes for completing electrical design work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Architectural Engineering from an ABET Accredited University program is required.
- Valid Driver’s License is required.
- EIT registration is preferred.
- 2-5 years of experience related to electrical power distribution, power generation, motor controls, lighting and lighting controls, fire alarm design, telecommunications network design, or security systems design.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams) is required.
- Working knowledge of Autodesk’s CADD, Autodesk’s REVIT, or Bentley’s MicroStation is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Electrical Modeling Software, SKM Power Tools or ETAP, is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Lighting Modeling Software, AGI 32 or ElumTools, is preferred.
- Familiarity with electrical testing apparatus is preferred.
Work is performed within a general office environment 90% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 50 lbs) may be required as needed.
Regional travel (generally within 90 miles) will occasionally be required for meeting attendance, field survey and construction verification activities.
- Analytical Thinking
- Job Proficiency
- Creativity and Innovation
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
- Integrity & Ethics
- Quality Service
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.