Building Services Coordinator
The Harvard Graduate School of Design (GSD), as the preeminent design school in the world, offers a unique setting for interaction and the exchange of ideas through the combination of disciplines – architecture, landscape architecture, and urban planning and design – together with emerging research and outreach programs and a robust annual public lectures and exhibitions. It is a dynamic, intellectually creative environment. We are seeking a driven, creative, and focused individual to serve as Building Services Coordinator for the Building Services department at the GSD.
Building Services at the GSD strives to support the pedagogy of all those that connect with the campus. We go beyond maintaining an immaculate, safe, and sustainable environment by ever-adapting to prepare the learning environments of the future. We offer open communication to proactively promote the comfort and productivity of faculty, students, staff, and visitors alike, continually improving our services and resources for the utmost customer satisfaction.
Under the direction of the Manager of Building Services, the Building Services Coordinator will have duties and responsibilities including, but not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for working as part of the front-line customer service team for the GSD Building Services team.
- Act as point of contact for space and resource management. Coordinates the monitoring and processing of GSD Campus space scheduling requests, via the Event Management System (EMS) software application. Generates room reservation reports on a daily and ad-hoc basis.
- Act as primary Building Services contact with the GSD Community for coordination of services related to classes, workshops, and studio reviews.
- Assists staff, faculty, and student organizations in event planning and execution in related to support services provided by GSD Building Services. Work collaboratively with internal and external service providers Coordinate and communicates up-to-date and accurate information on events to all service providers.
- Communicates campus-wide policies and guidelines relative to the use of space, events, and services on campus to all internal and external inquiries.
- Communicates and ensures adherence to all local and state regulations about the use of campus facilities and the events that take place in them.
- Manage the condition of all classroom and event spaces by conducting inspections, assigning preventive maintenance project, and forecasting operating projects.
- Communicates daily with Custodial, Security, and Facilities Management teams on space scheduling, support services and resource allocation related to classroom and event support for the GSD community.
- Actively manages and maintains, Event Management Software (EMS) and Social Tables Event Diagramming application. Maintains vendor relationship and management of necessary upgrades, communication, standard, and policies as associated with these tools.
- Serves as web editor for Building Services web page on local GSD intranet.
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends, over-time pay eligible.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned after reviewing with candidate.
- Assists with hiring, training, and supervising:
- Full-time 3-month term worker in Summer Months (June-August)
- Part-time Harvard student workers in Academic Year (Fall & Spring Terms)
- 3+ years of related experience required; a combination of education and experience may be considered
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment, while exercising a degree of diplomacy, discretion, and creative problem-solving.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Must be highly motivated and energetic; demonstrate a high degree of judgement; have a commitment to quality and high expectations and excellent customer service.
- Handle multiple tasks with precision; take initiative; and work independently, while at the same time always being mindful of the need to be a team player.
- Ability to organize conceptualizes and prioritizes objectives, and communicates GSD policies & procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build positive relations with a diverse constituent base.
- Excellent organizational skills and communication skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to teamwork and inclusiveness.
- Strong computer skills including advances knowledge of MS Office Suite, Outlook and campus calendaring, event management, and room scheduling software.
Walking throughout buildings on routine tours of classrooms and facilities.
Work is performed in an office setting. Any remote aspect of this position is circumstantial, and the department will ensure a smooth and safe in-person transition.
This position is an on-site role, and candidates must reside within commuting distance of the office.
The interview process and position may be modified and is currently circumstantial, including a mix of virtual and in-person interviews, remote onboarding, and remote and in-person work.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
The Harvard Graduate School of Design is passionate about fostering a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and professional work environment. Applicants of all race, ability, gender expression and identity, sexuality, religion, education, class, national origin, and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
In order to be considered for this role, a cover letter is required. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future. We regret that we cannot sponsor a work visa.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3-4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days,12+ paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: Excellent and affordable medical, dental & vision plans,with coverage beginning as of an employee's start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance & Reimbursement Programs: $40 per class at the HarvardExtension School, discounted options through participating Harvard graduate schools, and reimbursement options for accredited schools outside of Harvard.
- Transportation: 50% discount on MBTA passes, as well as additional options(rideshare, biking, etc.) to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness & Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or nocost, including stress management, hard & soft skills development, career planning, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complimentary health services. Additionally, access to Harvard athletic facilities, libraries, campus events – and many discounts for various cultural and leisure activities throughout metro Boston.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference checks and background screenings.
- This position has a 90 day orientation and review period. The O&R period will be waived for any internal Harvard employee transfers