The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization seeks a Graphic Designer. The Graphic Designer will join the Graphics team, which is focused on developing creative approaches to communicating information in high-quality visual formats, both digital and print. The Graphic Designer will play a key role in advancing the agency’s storytelling through compelling design, illustration, and infographics.
A successful candidate will
- create high-quality digital and print materials in a timely manner and with attention to detail;
- work with staff throughout the agency to translate complicated data, programs, research findings, study results, policies, and information into more accessible visual formats for board members, partner agencies, members of the public, and internal audiences;
- design reports, brochures, guidebooks, charts, graphs, posters, schematic drawings, slide decks, report covers, social media graphics, and other brand-consistent materials;
- collaborate with the creative team to develop new approaches for designing engaging visual products;
- assist in website design; and
- coordinate with the Graphics team and project managers from design conception through project completion.
While the following sections describe required and desirable qualifications, CTPS is open to candidates who believe that their particular experience and skills fulfill the requirements.
The ideal candidate will be creative and flexible, and will have
- a bachelor’s degree in graphic design, visual communication design, visual arts, fine arts, or a related field, or more than two years of experience in graphic design;
- excellent graphic design, layout, and analytical skills;
- extensive knowledge of brand hierarchy, typography, composition, and color application;
- excellent organizational skills and proven ability to manage multiple projects in a results-oriented environment;
- proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop) and PowerPoint;
- familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel and Google Workspace;
- experience in web design, HTML/CSS, and other languages;
- exceptional interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication skills;
- ability to work well independently and collaboratively; and
- ability to maintain a calendar of all applicable digital and print deadlines.
The following skills are desirable, but not required:
- knowledge of or interest in mapping technologies
- familiarity with GIS and Adobe Premiere
- knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Standards for Accessible Design
A portfolio is required.
This is a full-time position and the starting salary range is $48,100–$60,000 annually, contingent upon qualifications and experience. CTPS offers excellent Massachusetts state employee benefits; a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment; and a commitment to ongoing professional development. Our office is located in downtown Boston, in a transit-oriented and bicycle-friendly environment. We are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, and the agency will pilot hybrid work schedules once a return to the office is initiated. The return to the office will be based on health indicators and guidance. All employees will be required to provide proof of vaccination status. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) is the fiduciary agent for CTPS and legally employs its staff. MAPC and CTPS are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) employers that take pride in the diversity of their workforces and encourage all qualified persons to apply. MAPC participates in the E-Verify system to confirm employment eligibility.
How to Apply
This position is open until June 10, 2022, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. A review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online by clicking the "Apply Externally" button.