Plan Examiner I, Mechanical
The Mechanical Plan Examiner position will review commercial and residential building construction/remodeling documents for conformance to requirements of Minnesota’s Mechanical, Energy, Fuel Gas, Plumbing Codes and city ordinances
- Conduct mechanical plan review of construction documents for proposed new construction, remodeling and additions to ensure compliance with applicable codes.
- Meet with owners, architects, engineers, developers and contractors to provide code guidance for larger or more complex projects.
- Document discussions and decisions accepted for a project.
- Analyze proposals for alternate construction methods or materials, alternates and modifications, making recommendations to supervisor and Building Official.
- Coordinate with other sections of CPED and other departments with regard to department policy, ordinance changes and compliance matters to prevent substandard or unapproved installations and work towards uniformity of enforcement.
- Keep abreast of changing codes and trade technology to prevent substandard or unapproved installations in new or existing buildings.
- Provide recommendation for code changes, draft interpretations and correspondence, advise inspection staff of code related issues with changing code requirements, as well as changing materials and technology.
- Maintain certifications and licenses.
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Architecture or equivalent.
Three years of related experience. Preferred experience of progressive responsible technical experience in a position requiring the application of mechanical knowledge.
Certified Minnesota Building Official, ICC Plan Examiner Certification or equivalent within 2 years of employment.
An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be considered.