Construction Engineering Intern (Towson, MD)
Please apply via the Whiting-Turner website careers page.
Construction Engineering Intern (Towson,MD)
Summer internships available based in our Headquarters office (located in Towson, MD). Our project teams do work across the Mid-Atlantic and across the country. Various projects require commutes throughout the MD, DC, VA areas.
No remote work is available. This is an in person only position.
Open to undergraduate students interested in gaining hands-on practical experience in the
construction field. Qualified applicants will assist project team in acquiring and managing
construction projects; assist in all phases of the process from bidding to final completion.
In addition to the general fields of construction, excellent opportunities exist for specialization in
a field of your interest such as concrete and foundation work, steel work, interior finishes, and
• Assignments include office and job site; relocation to remote sites may be required.
• Transportation is required.
• Work periods are 10-12 weeks; 40 hours/week.
• Housing may be provided in certain situations.
INTERN JOB DESCRIPTION
Reporting Relationship: Depending on the work assignment, interns will report to a project
manager, superintendent, or project engineer. You may be assigned to the office, jobsite or mix
Tasks Assigned: You will be learning the engineering and technical aspects of the project both
in the field and in the office. Your experience will include some or all of the following:
• Quantity take-off
• Preconstruction/As-built surveys
• Shop drawing review/approval and
maintenance of log
• Submittal review/approval and
maintenance of log
• Request for information (RFI) review/
submission and maintenance of log
• Respond to subcontractor RFIs
• Interfacing with subcontractors & suppliers
• Attending weekly progress meetings
• Assist with coordinating the work between
the owner, architect & subcontractors
• Assist during the bid process
• Assist with reviewing construction
documents and specifications
• Assist with reviewing all document revisions
• Assist with maintaining field record
• Assist with estimates/budgets/value
• Assist with writing contracts & purchase
• Assist with preparing billings to owner &
submitting change orders
• Assist with approval of invoices
• Assist with ordering & expediting
• Assist with scheduling & updates
• Assist with quality control & safety
• Assist with settling contracts
• Assist with permit process
• Assist with performing costing,
scheduling, estimating & project
• Punchlist & project closeout
• Cooperating & working with field
• And any other duties that may be
You should be familiar with the following software: Suretrak, Primavera, Microsoft Word,
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft