2023 Summer Intern Program – Information Security
Obtain the skills required to become a Cyber Security Professional and learn how corporations protect valuable customer information against cyber criminals. Become a member of our Information Security team responsible for supporting the Information Security program for SMBC and associated entities in multiple geographical locations.
SMBC is seeking sharp, talented, and energetic Information Security Interns passionate about a career in Cyber Security to join our New York team. If you will be graduating in December 2023 or May 2024 and are looking for your next challenge, we want to speak with you!
This internship provides a combination of training and mentorship with skilled and experienced information security professionals that is designed to teach enterprise class information security principles and best practices.
What is the Opportunity?
SMBC hosts a 10-week Summer Intern Program for undergraduate students who will have the opportunity to work on teams, be exposed to significant firm-wide projects within their respective business areas and support a range of deals with our clients.
We offer many different opportunities including building financial models, developing client presentations, conducting research, and observing client meetings – all to improve their understanding of the global banking industry.
Our Summer Intern Program is an excellent gateway to our full-time Analyst Program.
We are currently hiring into the following areas:
Security engineering is responsible for the overall implementation, maintenance and support of Information Security platforms including Operating Systems, Security Tools and Business Application Integrations with security systems. Our primary focus is to ensure Security Systems are fully operational for use by other Information Security groups as well as other IT or Business-related groups.
Security Architecture provides expertise and guidance in the research, analysis, design, development, and delivery of new and existing solutions to secure applications, operating systems, databases, and networks. The team acts as a technical security advisor for project teams and assists in identifying, managing, and mitigating security risks for applications and systems across the bank.
Identity & Access Management
Identity and Access Management (IAM) is a framework of policies, procedures, and technologies for ensuring that the proper people have the appropriate access levels to applications and technology resources. The IAM program empowers bank users with secure and simple access to the tools used by the business, using intuitive, innovative and integrated technologies to enable a dramatically improved and collaborative experience in accordance with regulatory requirements.
The Cyber Security intern will work with the security team’s senior engineers to help automate some of the tasks that are conducted manually. Knowledge of Python/Perl or any scripting language is desirable. Intern will also have the ability to work in the cloud space to automate certain tasks using cloud formation templates in AWS. Knowledge of Terraform and/or Cloud formation is desired. Ability to ingest data from different sources to create a dashboard would be a plus.
Cyber Operational Resilience
The SMBC America’s Division CISO office formed and began staffing the Cyber & Operational Resilience department in April 2022. Responsibilities of the department include resilience by design coordination, cyber incident response participation, cloud governance, third-party cyber resilience, cyber threat modeling, cyber exercise program and cyber resilience assessment.
How Our Program Works
Our Summer Intern Program is designed for students who completed their junior year.
This 10-week program commences in June and includes:
- Training with on-the-desk experience
- Senior Speaker Series
- Japanese cultural activities
- Social networking activities
- Volunteer Day with a local nonprofit
- Mentorship opportunity with both a junior and senior mentor at SMBC
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Cyber Security, Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science or Engineering from an accredited university with a graduation date of December 2023 or May 2024; excellent academic record
- Course experience in one of the core subject areas within cyber security is preferred. This may include data analysis, policy management, risk management, forensics, network security, secure coding, threat analysis, configuration management, etc.
- Ability to demonstrate a self-motivated and disciplined approach to learning and working.
- Demonstrated and genuine interest in the domain of information security.
- Candidates should be able to explain how they take their professional growth seriously and demonstrate their passion for information security.
- Related work or internship experience desirable.
- Must be highly energetic, organized, detail orientated, with excellent problem solving and communication abilities both verbal and written.
- Must possess the ability to perform under pressure in a challenging environment in an ever-evolving industry.
- A hunger to learn and take on challenging opportunities contributing to the success of a global information security team.
- Must possess a highly developed sense of personal accountability and follow-through with an ability to effectively prioritize multiple personal tasks, projects and goals.
- The ideal individual is results oriented, exhibits excellent judgment, has relentlessly high standards and an innate ability to inspire passion in others.
- The ability to understand complex and highly technical concepts, and easily explain/translate them to peers is highly preferred.
The hourly rate of pay for a position in this program is $54.95 per hour. Individuals in this program will typically work a 35 hour work week.