Mechanical Engineering Internship (Class of 2025)
The Electronic Systems’ Hardware Engineering Department is seeking candidates for mechanical engineering summer internships supporting all aspects of the engineering development and manufacturing lifecycle. At BAE Systems, we deliver a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services.
Opportunities exist supporting a variety of efforts in engineering development, integration, test and transition to production efforts on complex electronic and mechanical systems.
Roles and Responsibilities may include:
- Provide engineering support to the design, development and selection of basic hardware components utilizing fundamental mechanical engineering principles, theories and techniques.
- Obtain working knowledge of company tools. Perform analyses and compile data for investigation by senior engineering personnel.
- Support the fabrication and testing of prototype or deliverable hardware. Document and present results.
- Support assemblers, technicians and inspectors for manufacturing issues on new and existing products.
- Develop or improve test fixtures, tooling, manufacturing processes and other procedures for new and existing product builds to reduce defects and improve yields.
- Participate in and document corrective action requests using 9 Step problem solving methodology.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
Internships at BAE Systems feature additional opportunities including:
- Networking with BAE Systems employees and interns.
- Participation in a summer-long non-technical intern project, in addition to engineering assignment.
- Informational sessions on a variety of topics exclusively for interns.
- Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills:
- Pursuing a BS Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering (or equivalent)
- Minimum 2.8 GPA.
- Eligible for DOD Security Clearance.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Ability to research and apply mechanical engineering principles and theories to solve mechanical engineering problems.
- Motivated self-starter with leadership skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent problem solving skills, judgment, and analytical capability.
- Ability to close on discrete tasking in a timely manner.
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in Creo, AutoCAD, ANSYS, Siemens NX or MATLAB is a plus.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems:
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.