Engineering Summer Intern 2023 (Paid)
APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME.
Who are we:
We are one of the largest U.S. railroads transporting the nations freight across 28 western states and 3 Canadian provinces. As a member of our team, you will play a role in supporting the movement of essential products and materials that help feed, clothe, supply, and power communities throughout America and the world. Come make a difference with us!
What makes us different:
At BNSF, we do not just talk about culture, we live it. As a team member here, you would immediately experience how our culture is woven into what we do. Our goal is for everyone to achieve their highest potential by focusing on safety, continuous improvement, plus personal and professional growth. As an employee at BNSF, we have multiple programs to ensure that you will be recognized and appreciated for all your impactful work.
We also have plenty of developmental opportunities to further your career! Many of our team members that joined BNSF have experienced multiple career paths that were completely unplanned to them. We make development a priority at BNSF.
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture. We have been recognized by multiple organizations such as Forbes (Best Employer for Women and New College Grads), Military Times (Best for Vets), and the Human Rights Campaign (Best Place to Work) for our outstanding culture!
The paid Summer Internship Program is an opportunity to experience what it’s like to be a full-time BNSF employee. As an intern at BNSF, you’ll be given real-life, impactful assignments that will put your skills and education into practice. Your summer project will combine classroom experience and real-life business situations to provide value-added work to BNSF.
The program is designed to identify students who will be hired by BNSF as full-time Management Trainees after they graduate. During your summer internship, you will get the chance to network with peers, our Business Resource Groups, and Senior Leaders throughout the BNSF network.
- Kick off the summer along with a group of interns for orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. Attend networking events, informal chats with subject-matter experts, partner with a mentor, and get first-hand experience working in preparation for a full-time management trainee position!
- Potential for offer of fulltime position after internship
- Explore a potential career path at BNSF with incredible opportunities for growth and the possibility to travel our network
- Relocation and separate monthly housing stipend (starting at $800 a month!)
- Relocation assistance may be provided to interns who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their current residence.
- Competitive vision, dental, and medical care
- Access to comprehensive discounts on everyday items such as travel, fitness classes (partnership with Peloton), car dealerships, and even mortgages!
- Get connected! Join any of our company-sponsored business resource groups. There are plenty of networking opportunities within BNSF!
- Employee assistance programs to aid in work/life situations such as mental health, legal/financial questions, relationship support, and child/elder care plus more!
- Potential for offer of fulltime position
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
Work Location: Albuquerque, NM; Fargo, ND; Gillette, WY; San Bernardino, CA; Minneapolis, MN; Haslet, TX; Whitefish, MT; Denver, CO; Kansas City, KS
Anticipated Start Date: June 2023
Number of Positions: 15
Salary: $4,625 per month
- The Summer Internship Program provides interns an opportunity to learn more about how our efficient, safe, and sustainable rail network supports the global supply chain. Interns gain experience in our Track, Engineering Services, Structures, Signal, Mechanical, Transportation, and Environmental departments in order to learn what it’s like to work at BNSF full-time. Operating one of the largest railroads in North America, we have countless opportunities for interns to develop their skills, create new ideas and even travel! The objective of our Summer Internship Program is to find students that will join us after graduation as part of our Management Trainee Program.
RELOCATION WILL BE REQUIRED:
- A candidate must be willing to be relocated to any location across the BNSF system for the training program.
- Relocation assistance may be provided to those who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence.
- Please refer to BNSF’s operating system at www.bnsf.com (see System Map).
- Frequent and extensive travel over a large geographic region will be required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The program begins with a two-day orientation in Fort Worth, Texas where interns receive a company overview and network with company leaders.
- The remaining time will be spent supporting on-going projects and completing on-the-job field training conducted at assigned training location which will include numerous job shadows across multiple departments.
- Work in a 24 x 7 operations environment including nights, weekends, evenings and holidays, and available for emergency situations.
- Hours are irregular with a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Work both indoors and outdoors in extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet).
- Work around heavy and moving machinery.
- Work around electronics, including electric currents.
- Work in and around bridges in elevated locations.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- I have a 2.50 or higher cumulative GPA with a degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
- Current enrollment in a Construction Management or Engineering bachelor’s or graduate degree program at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship.
- Less than four years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Ability to relocate to an assigned location within the BNSF Network for the summer.
- Valid Driver's License.
- If offered a position by BNSF, I will not require BNSF’s assistance (whether monetary, through sponsorship, or otherwise), now or in the future, to obtain, maintain, or extend my employment authorization (including H-1B or TN nonimmigrant status).
ADDITIONALLY, QUALIFIED CANDIDATES MUST BE ABLE TO:
- Demonstrate leadership skills
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Graduation date prior to September 1, 2024
- Experience working in an engineering or construction related environment
- Experience working outdoors or in an industrial environment
- Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication skills
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours are irregular with a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Schedule could involve nights, weekends, and holidays, as BNSF is a 24 X 7 work environment.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic.
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
SF: MO | [[mfield5]] | Operations - Engineering | Albuquerque, NM | 87102