Mechanical Engineering Designer
Mechanical Engineering Designer
Definition: Individuals assigned to this classification will perform engineering calculations and must be able to layout and design systems in accordance with established policies, standards, procedures and in accordance with codes.
- Individuals assigned to this classification will perform engineering calculations and must be able to layout and design systems in accordance with established policies, standards, procedures, code and shall exercise judgment in their application.
- Individuals should be able to apply practical knowledge and experience in their field to resolve problems and conflicts related to the projects assigned to them. Individuals should be capable of independent decision-making for engineering tasks on the projects assigned to them.
- Individuals may occasionally assist other engineers or designers.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering is required. EIT preferable.
- An associate degree with minimum 4 years’ experience in the Mechanical design under the supervision of a Professional Engineer required. EIT preferable.
- 5-7 years of practical experience in Mechanical design field is preferred, but not required. EIT preferable.
- With minimal direction, prepares system layout and detailed drawings and schematics to produce a complete set of construction drawings in accordance with applicable codes.
- Assisting in the preparation of contract specifications
- Performs calculations and design engineering systems.
- Provides technical information and assistance to project engineer or team leader. Makes recommendations as to the feasibility of certain systems or equipment and evaluates products for their applications.
- Coordinates design systems with other disciplines, consultants and utilities.
- Perform site surveys.
- Respond to RFI’s with the approval of Sr. Engineering Designer or Project Engineer.
- Using catalogs to specify items where original design is not required.
- Training and mentoring of EDI and Eng. Technician.
- Proficient in AutoCAD. Revit preferred.
- Proficient in PDF manipulation.
- Researching and writing reports/opinions
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Active listening
- Proficient other software utilized.
- Leadership and mentoring abilities.
- Knowledge of Engineering Design.
- Knowledge of Engineering Practices.
- Ability to manage a group of projects.
- Proven communication, leadership, and team building skills.
- Capable of determining and producing drawings/details required in order to assist communication with contractor.
- Demonstrated an understanding of architectural/engineering codes.
- Capable of identifying inconsistencies in the documents.
- An understanding of all stages of the process, from schematic design to construction administration.
- Associated knowledge of disciplines to create ability to participate in building site surveys.
- Demonstrated successful decision making and problem-solving abilities.
- Awareness of and ability to apply customer service skills appropriately.
- Demonstrated record of success in performing more advanced aspects of engineering assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot technical problems and generate multiple solutions.
- The ability to work efficiently and accurately.
- Demonstrated success at taking on added responsibilities.
- Attend two or more training seminars or classes consisting of either technical, code, and leadership.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time, able to handle stressful situations and multi-tasking, able to work under time constraints, long hours may be required. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Overtime (40+ hours) may be required as needed.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Must be able to handle stressful situations, multi-tasking, and working within reasonable time constraints to meet production schedules and budgets. Will work in normal office environment and may also be required to work outside of a normal office from time-to-time.
The above criteria have been developed to establish guidelines for this position, but note that these are only guidelines, and a person’s ability, talent, effort, personality, and other aspects of the profession shall become a deciding factor for each position.
Promotions are dependent on effort, attitude, ability, need, and schooling and should not be considered automatic.
Cuhaci & Peterson provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cuhaci & Peterson complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Additionally, this job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship between the employee and Cuhaci & Peterson Architects, Engineers & Planners, Inc.