Vehicle Engineering - Mechanical Design Engineering Internship (Fall 2023)
What to Expect
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2023 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December) or into Winter/Spring 2024 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, in-person. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school on your ability to work 40 hours per week before applying. Again, please do not apply until you know you can work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time during the academic year.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Fremont, CA
- Austin, TX
- Reno, NV
- Hawthorne, CA
About Mechanical Design in Vehicle Engineering
Mechanical Design Engineering (MDE) interns will work on all aspects of the mechanical design process, including design, analysis, prototyping, and validation of components and systems for Tesla vehicles. As an MDE intern, you can expect to contribute to a variety of projects depending on team requirements, challenging you to come up with creative solutions to affect rigorous quality and cost-down targets. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners, external vendors, and suppliers.
What You’ll Do
What to Expect
Qualified applicants may be reviewed by one or more of the following teams:
- Aerodynamics Engineering
- Body in White Engineering
- Charge Port Door Engineering
- Chassis Engineering
- Closures Engineering
- Design Quality Engineering
- Dimensional Engineering
- Drive Inverter
- Drive Systems Structures
- Exteriors Engineering
- Interiors Engineering
- Mechanical Drive Systems
- Motor Design
- New Programs Engineering
- Noise, Vibration, & Harshness Engineering
- Passive Safety Engineering
- Power Electronics Hardware
- Research & Development
- Restraints Design Engineering
- Seat Design Engineering
- Thermal Engineering
- Vehicle Controls & Vibrations
- Vehicle Integration
What You’ll Bring
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program such as Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Mechatronics.
- Proficiency designing in a 3D CAD software (CATIA proficiency is a plus).
- Experience creating engineering drawings (GD&T experience is a plus).
- Proven interest in mechanical design engineering through extracurricular activities, academic projects, passion projects, or equivalent experiences (proven automotive or sustainability interest is a plus).
- Excellent grasp of engineering fundamentals.
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams while able to work independently; detail-oriented and execution focused.
- Genuine curiosity and willingness to understand how our products are designed, built and how they operate.